Photo
- - - - -

this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:22 AM

20T waaay overkill!

As previously mentioned, check out https://safejacks.com/

He's always at Overland Expo.  Good products.

His upgraded bottle jacks and accessories provide that extra margin of safety when needed off-tarmac.

Edited by Advmoto18, 05 April 2020 - 01:23 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:53 AM

All electric motors have a start-up current that exceeds their running current. I've long heard this called the "In-Rush" current by EE's and those edumacated in things electrical. I'm sure that an EE can figure out what any given motor's normal in-rush current should be, but I just guessed it would be about a 1/4 again more watts and backed out the amps based on 12.0 VDC.

Yep know about "in-rush" current on startup. Good guess on your part and thanks for the estimate procedure.  Just don't know what this one draws.  I could get a clue with the one on the truck by looking at the BMV 712 and see what it hits on startup.  But it does not record information for the peak moment and don't have a better multi meter with this capability.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, from your post I didn't know what it was that you were questioning. I based the initial 3/4HP rating based on some of the text on the amazon page. Since 1 HP = 746 watts I jumped it to 1000 watts on start-up and figuring that when wire size and breaker rating would matter would be when the battery was at a low SoC I used 12.0 VDC for the amps calc. I tend to use that voltage in all of my calcs since it builds in some Factor of Safety.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

I went in a little different direction for my jack..

I ended up buying this 6000# bottle jack that has a built in jack stand and a nice wide base for support.

https://www.etrailer...etails=.reviews

My camper weighs about 10,500 pounds full loaded and is pretty evenly balanced front to back so each tire supports less than 3000#.

I tried it out when I first bought it and was pleasantly surprised at the support the wide base provided because I never get a flat on flat pavement it seems!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:12 PM

I went in a little different direction for my jack..

I ended up buying this 6000# bottle jack that has a built in jack stand and a nice wide base for support.

https://www.etrailer...etails=.reviews

My camper weighs about 10,500 pounds full loaded and is pretty evenly balanced front to back so each tire supports less than 3000#.

I tried it out when I first bought it and was pleasantly surprised at the support the wide base provided because I never get a flat on flat pavement it seems!

Cool - and as far as I can see it is a bunch cheaper, now, on amazon. $72.   for the 6000 lb version. 

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B00GJJZ5NI

Is the jack arm long enough to work under the axle of a pickup truck, do you think?

also can you somehow use the jack stand feature from outside of the area of the pickup truck? I mean I am not getting UNDER the truck when it is just on the jack.... (does that make sense?)

also - i know "under the axle" is where one jacks up a SuperDuty - but what part of the axle? closest to the wheel, i assume? any tips? thanks. 

thanks. :-)

Edited by LosAngeles, 10 April 2020 - 06:52 PM.

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

Cool - and as far as I can see it is a bunch cheaper, now, on amazon. $72.   for the 6000 lb version. 

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B00GJJZ5NI

Is the jack arm long enough to work under the axle of a pickup truck, do you think?

also can you somehow use the jack stand feature from outside of the area of the pickup truck? I mean I am not getting UNDER the truck when it is just on the jack.... (does that make sense?)

also - i know "under the axle" is where one jacks up a SuperDuty - but what part of the axle? closest to the wheel, i assume? any tips? thanks. 

thanks. :-)

The jack arm is actually two pieces about a foot long each so you will have to have you arm under the truck to jack it up but with the jack stand feature it locks every inch or so so for me it is OK.

I always put the jack on the solid axle as far outbound as possible. You only want to lift the tire off the ground not the truck. If you are concerned I have seen some people put their spare under the edge of the truck to act as another support should the jack fail and only take it out from under the truck when the flat tire is completely off the truck and that is placed under the truck while you put the spare on.

Hope that makes sense...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#17 LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:38 PM

Unless SafeJack has changed it will not fit under your axle when your tire is flat.

XksjRMT8wrry74sEyY72kN0PfbhH_trVlha0ugUw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users