#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:45 AM

Hi all

We are buying a FWC/truck combo from a coworker.  We want to agree on a fair price for both of us.  Just not sure how to figure out what that price is.  Wondering if anyone has any input?

The truck is a 2010 F150 4x4 supercrew with about 45,000 miles on it.  The truck has about all the options including Sony Navigation System, preferred equipment package, Fx4 luxury package and several other options.  They also have after market options including 6" suspension lift with airbags, 20" wheels and 35" tires, tubular side bars, front bumper with winch and light bar.  I was told the aftermarket stuff is the "RBP Rolling Big Power Package"  The truck is in great condition and very clean.  it has rarely been taken off road.

The FWC was built and purchased in 2015.  Hawk model with front dinet.  it has 160W solar, 2-way 80L fridge, furnace, heated outdoor shower, power roof vent, 8ft side awning,, yakima roof rack bars, thermal package, 2nd battery, Silver Spur Package.  The camper is also super clean and well maintained.

We want to figure out a fair price for both parties.  Anyone have input or suggested price?  I can post pictures later today.

THANKS

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

FWCs really hold their value, they don't really depreciate like other campers, add to that the long wait for a new FWC and you will find that used late model FWCs sell for close to what the person probably has invested in the unit. I would suggest you go to the FWC website and build the same unit online. That will show you what it would cost to buy one new. Then ask your co-worker what he has invested in it.  Also, do a search on this forum for similar units recently sold.

If this camper is what you want and it is in almost new shape, I think it is probably worth close to what the co-worked has invested, minus any repairs needed, or cosmetic damage, because the co-worker could probably get that value on the open market, sans cover-19 issues.

As far as the truck goes, I think that is best done with online searches, its 10 years old, there are lots of used trucks on the market and some great deals and financing with new trucks. You may want to consider buying a new truck unless you get a really good deal on this truck.

Good luck

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with a truck with a 6 inch lift.. its simply overkill.. So many things to consider there, did they change gearing to accommodate the bigger tires.. What type of MPG would a truck like that get? Hopefully you would never have to unload the camper because I am not sure the jacks would even go that high??

The FWC is worth a lot.. they really hold their value.. although I am seeing more for sale with the current state of the economy..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:26 PM

This is not an entirely straightforward thing to do.   

As for the camper, it is probably worth ~$20K.  The best metric is what similar campers are selling for, unfortunately there are not a huge number of comparison points, but here are a couple:

https://www.wanderth...+front +dinette

https://www.wanderth...y-to-boondocks/

https://www.wanderth...-2017-fwc-hawk/

These campers don't change all that much year to year, so age is not as important as condition. I imagine there will be a lot fewer buyers and more of these on the market in the next few months, so that is in your favor. 

As for the truck, I would skip this one.   A 6" lift, 20" rims and tubular side bars are all thing you would NOT want on this setup.   They certainly don't add any value. If you were to buy it, I would take whatever the bluebook/FMV/comps for an un-molested truck and go from there. 

Edited by rando, 04 April 2020 - 02:31 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the input so far.  We are not 100% stoked on the truck.  But, I think we can get a great deal for the whole set up.  Our thoughts being, we can ride the truck into the ground and then put the camper onto a new truck.  The seller is thinking of selling it for $45-$48K.  I have some pictures of the set up I want to share...but....I don't know how to load them onto here.  (Im not a very techy person). Any help on how to load the pictures?

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:20 PM

Look at the pinned threads in the support forum for tips about loading photos

Thanks for the input so far.  We are not 100% stoked on the truck.  But, I think we can get a great deal for the whole set up.  Our thoughts being, we can ride the truck into the ground and then put the camper onto a new truck.  The seller is thinking of selling it for $45-$48K.  I have some pictures of the set up I want to share...but....I don't know how to load them onto here.  (Im not a very techy person). Any help on how to load the pictures?

I am haunted by waters

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:22 PM

My non-expert feeling is that is significantly too high, and is certainly not a screaming deal.  I am no expert on F-150s, but the book on the truck is about $19,000 in very good condition with the actual (low) miles.   That puts the camper at $26 - $29K, which is too much for a 5 year old slide in. 

Here is a Granby front dinette, with slightly fewer options, but newer, that apparently sold for $18K:

https://www.wanderth...-for-sale-sold/

Edited by rando, 04 April 2020 - 04:02 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

Another non-expert opinion.  My observations and thoughts... as I used to watch the ads for 4 wheel campers and check them out if within a reasonable distance from home...

Most truck/rig combinations will sell for less than the individual items.  I see this frequently, as the buyer has to make a decision about whether they want or like the camper and the truck.  Also, it seems that the sellers of these rigs usually don't want the hassle of having sold either the camper or the truck and then try to find a buyer for the other.  The sellers also realize they are taking a discount for selling the combo as they see it as a cost/benefit decision (one sale, no removing the camper, potential storage of camper, etc).

That said, the potential buyer has to assess whether it meets their needs.  I think most truck/camper combos come onto the radar screen of potential buyers because they are already looking for that particular camper (4wheel, Northstar, etc) and just happened to see the ad for the combined unit.  Unless the truck is exactly what the buyer wants, then there's always a purchasing hesitation (maybe I'll get it if the price is right).

All that gets factored into the ultimate selling price of the rig.  Many potential buyers of campers already have a truck, so I think there's a stronger market for camper-only.  On the other hand, if the price is right, it's a quick way for the buyer to purchase a ready-to-use rig.  There's no hassle for trying to mount the camper to your truck (will it fit correctly, or does the bottom need to be raised to get it higher than the bed?).  And there's a cost of installing a camper on a rig (the tie-downs, installation fees, maybe stronger suspension, air bags, maybe new tires, etc).

One final note... as a truck owner for the past 30 years, I would never buy a rig with a 6-inch lift.  Too many issues with drive train alignment, suspension, emergency handling characteristics, etc.  I have found a one to three inch lift can be managed with the appropriate after-market parts.  Anything beyond that is questionable at best.

So my quick thoughts on the particular rig you are looking at is to figure the price of the truck and camper separately and then discount the truck significantly.  After-market lifts and add-ons hold very little value in the used truck market.  It doesn't matter how much the original owner spent for them.  The original owner has to figure that he will get about 10 cents for every dollar of add-on.  However the base truck can be easily priced on Edmunds, Kelly, etc.

I know it's hard to go to a friend with a low offer and try not insult them.  Perhaps the friend needs to try selling it himself first to get a reality check.

2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:37 PM

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with a truck with a 6 inch lift.. its simply overkill.. So many things to consider there, did they change gearing to accommodate the bigger tires.. What type of MPG would a truck like that get? Hopefully you would never have to unload the camper because I am not sure the jacks would even go that high??

As for the truck, I would skip this one.   A 6" lift, 20" rims and tubular side bars are all thing you would NOT want on this setup.   They certainly don't add any value. If you were to buy it, I would take whatever the bluebook/FMV/comps for an un-molested truck and go from there. 

One final note... as a truck owner for the past 30 years, I would never buy a rig with a 6-inch lift.  Too many issues with drive train alignment, suspension, emergency handling characteristics, etc.  I have found a one to three inch lift can be managed with the appropriate after-market parts.  Anything beyond that is questionable at best.

There is a theme going on...

A 6 inch lift I would stay away and not trust the longevity of the replacement products or what effects it has on wear and tear acceleration.  Not to mention how safe is it?  Is it a good quality aftermarket system?  If I have a accident how it ties into the liability and working with the insurance companies.

Just a opinion... one could look at a new truck or one that is near stock as a cost comparison.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

Here is another data point - a recently sold Tacoma/fully optioned FWC.  It listed at $48K and sold quickly, so probably well priced. The Tacoma has a private party blue book value about $10K over the F150, which would seem to suggest that $38K may be a more reasonable price.....

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users