#1 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

I have a 2010 HAWK with factory installed 160 solar panel. I would like to install an amp meter to be more informed of battery charging rate.

There are two wires entering the battery cabinet (2 wires with 2 conductors each). I assume that one is connected to my campers power load center. Is the other connected to the solar controller?

I am fairly certain that my solar controller is located outside and under the solar panel, however I have not removed the panel to verify.

'15 Tundra Double cab with '09 Hawk side couch

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:23 PM

If I understand your question correctly, I suspect it is pre-wiring for the solar connector that was an option for the back wall.

I am haunted by waters

#3 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

Presently the solar system is functional,however there is no visual display. All wires that enter the battery cabinet are connected to the battery. 2 pos and 2 neg.

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

I realize that you asked for an ammeter, but there are better options out there for monitoring the battery. I've never thought all that much of ammeters, and voltmeters are only slightly better. I don't get wrapped around the axle in the nuances of what I can learn from our battery monitor, but even still I find it far more informative than those simple meters.

I'll suggest looking at the TriMetric and Victron battery monitors. The installation of either is only slightly more complicated than a simple meter, and even less so if the ammeter in question uses a shunt (recommended!) instead of a direct read.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

A battery monitor is probably the easiest solution and most useful, as ntsqd suggests.   Either a full featured version, or a budget alternative (I can't speak to how well the budget ones actually work).    The install is straightforward - disconnect everything from the negative terminal of the battery, and connect the battery end of the shunt to the battery (you will need a short jumper wire) and then reconnect everything that was connected to the '-' terminal on the battery to the load end of the shunt.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:47 AM

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd answer RHarries's question before launching into unrequested advice. So I'm reminded that the original question was whether the second pair of wires connected to the camper battery is connected at the other end to the solar controller.

I'm saying Yes. Historically, only one pair of wires was connected to a house battery so that a battery disconnect switch in that pair could truly disconnect the battery from all loads when the camper was stored for the winter. But that practice was seen as a bit too extreme in situations where a battery trickle charger, for instance, was attached directly to the battery to keep it charged during long term storage. Then when solar charging systems became common, the same argument was made to connect them directly to the battery. So, that's the reason I suspect the second pair is, in fact, connected to a solar charger. It's always a good idea to check, nevertheless.

Now, to my own unsolicited comments and advice. I agree with rando and ntsqd that there are more comprehensive ways to monitor a battery than an in-line ammeter. However, that's not what RHarries was asking for. It seems that he's interested in monitoring the instantaneous battery charging rate of his solar system. And, it also seems, that an ammeter is just the ticket for this purpose.

I would be surprised if the solar controller is located outside and underneath a factory-installed solar panel. But I could be wrong; it has happened before. So I would suggest a little exploration that, admittedly, will involve removing some screws and plywood panels. My guess is that the solar controller is located somewhere inside/under one of the cabinets. It might be helpful long term to find where it is located and to also trace and identify as many other wires one might find while doing such a search. I suggest this project will be most successful if done with an assortment of tools, including good screwdrivers and square drives, a fully-charged flashlight and a couple of beers.

Good luck

Ed

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

I'd like to better understand the OP's goals. It could be that an ammeter is the right choice for those goals, and it may not be.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

The various battery monitors ARE ammeters, and will do exactly what was requested - plus a bunch more. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:15 AM

Thanks all for your input and ideas.

My initial thread was based on my interest in knowing the the solar panel charging rate.  I would like to know if moving my rig into a less shady location was worth the effort (subjective - i know). 

I will certainly be looking into the recommended battery meters as this tool may give me the information i desire.

I will also be learning how the solar system is configured and where the equipment is located.  Based on the owners manual information I have from the camper purchase, solar equipment includes: 

1.  Sunsaver PV system controller

2.  BZ 240 charge controller

I have the tools, time, and beer...

#10 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:58 AM

I have a Victron MPPT controller with Bluetooth that shows real time solar data(volts,amps ,watts) and graphs daily  history up to 30 days.It is programable to match your batteries.I have a Trimetric to show power usage.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users