53 replies to this topic

#21 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:25 PM

I've been at it for 52 years now. 

#1 fly fishing secret in my book...learn to cast like Joan Wulff!  Then add some Lefty Kreh.

I'm pretty much in saltwater these days.  Just an occasional trip to the NC mountains too wet a line for native rainbow, brown and brook with a 3 line rod and tiny reel.

I upgraded to the new 2 piece Scott Sector 9 line rod with a Hatch 7 Plus reel to chase big reds and bones.  Unfortunately, couldn't get to the Keys due to the virus.

Around the Low Country, my Scott Meridian 8 line is my go to daily rod with an old Steve Abel built Super 8.  Not as light or smooth drag like today's reels, but, still one of my favorite setups.

Wishing you tight lines!

2020-04-26-10-32-14-r1.jpg

Sorry for the poor image, a quick grab with my iPhone.

Edited by Advmoto18, 26 April 2020 - 03:07 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#22 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:03 PM

Here’s another video that gives us hope for our rivers.  The narrator is Bob Hunter, my friend and fishing partner.   Water Watch of Oregon and Rogue Flyfishers were instrumental in the removal of Savage Rapids and Gold Rey dams, and the breaching of the never completed Elk Creek dam.  The only remaining dam is Lost Creek,  above the town of Shady Cove.  It was built in the late 1970s for irrigation and flood control.

My family had ranches on the Rogue, downstream of Shady Cove, and was been impacted by the floods of the 1950s and 1960, losing at least 20 acres to flood erosion.  Though Lost Creek dam slowed the loss of land, I don’t believe the damage to the fishery justified its creation.

I am haunted by waters

#23 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:12 PM

Here’s the Gold Rey dam..

Elk Creek

I am haunted by waters

#24 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:18 PM

I'm, certainly no fishery or hydrology expert...

But, I don't think I've ever read where a dam is a good thing for fish.

A friend who is farming up in VA adjacent to the Shenandoah River had to spend over $200K on projects to prevent runoff and erosion.

Steve, hard to imagine losing 20 acres to erosion and what it did to not only family's land but the fishery as well!

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Bill, I’m with you on dams are not good for fisheries.  When Lost Creek was put in, the COE put in the Cole Rivers Hatchery Immediately below the dam.  It pumps out thousands of hatchery fish, but the gene pool has suffered greatly.  Another issue is getting water flows and temps right to help fish migrate and survive.  The lower Rogue sees salmon kills in hot summers because of warm temps and poor oxygenation.

I am haunted by waters

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:42 AM

I don't know where this post belongs, but it IS about fishing, while on the fly... LINK

Edited by Vic Harder, 27 April 2020 - 01:42 AM.

#27 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

Just want to say this is a great thread!

Really hoping to be able to wet a line soon...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

I don't know where this post belongs, but it IS about fishing, while on the fly... LINK

Thanks Vic great video.

They are fun to watch in the wild.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#29 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:55 PM

Steve...

We have hatchery Rainbows in a few creeks I fish in western NC.  Hatchery fish don't fight like native or taste nearly as good.  

You can tell a native Rainbow in hand by the clipped adipose fin.  They are clipped on young fish at the hatchery.

If the adipose isn't clipped another good tell is a worn pectoral fin.  The fin will wear down from hours of swimming against the concrete floor of the pond/tank.  The fin never heals or grows back.

A native Rainbow will fight almost like a Brown.  Hence, pretty easy to discern when you have a hatchery Rainbow on the line from the hook up.

But, the hatchery is necessary IMO.  It provides an easier source of food (than native) for the predators who rely on the trout.  

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:11 AM

Here’s little secret from Orvis...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users