• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

Just catching up.  I'm an avid fly angler.  I go out 2-3x/week.  Headed out to do some alpine lake fishing in my float tube and in my FWC :-).  I'll have to watch these videos soon!

Also, I really enjoy the Orvis podcasts.  I have a ton of them downloaded and I listen to them at night when camping/fishing all the time.  Some I've listened to many times.  I download the pertinent one's on where I'm headed fishing.

Thanks for posting!

Kevin 

Edited by kmcintyre, 08 July 2020 - 11:42 AM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#42 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

Back in 1992 on our Alaskan trip I did see that technique in a couple areas.

I asked the locals and was told that's the way to catch them at that time.

I tried but no luck.

Another interesting fishing technique the locals use it a "hay hook" from a boat in the lakes.

While camping at Mosquito Lk outside Haines Ak,we watched a woman do this.

She told us that residents are allowed to catch the salmon this way.

You just reach in a big group of fish and "hook" em.

Subsistence fishing she called it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#43 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:46 PM

Has anyone heard of “Flossing”?

We’re up here in Alaska and went out for both Sockeye and Kings. The Kenai River is closed so we hired a guide to take us to the Kasilof River. The techniques used for Sockeye fishing from the shore is called flossing and it’s the weirdest fly fishing I’ve ever tried.

We started with a 9 weight rod with a sinking line. To the end of the line we had a conventional swivel. On the swivel we had an egg sinker that was maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an ounce depending on the speed of the flow. Again to that swivel we had about 9 feet of 40 pound mono. At the end of that line we had....a bare #4 hook!

The process is to pull out as much line as your rod is long..so for me about 9 feet. Then you roll cast it out directly perpendicular to the river and with your rod tip pointed down at the water follow your weigh as it rolls down the river due to the current. When it gets to about a 45 degree angle you quickly pull the rod tip back, still just above the water and hope your line runs through the fishes open mouth and snags him or her in the jaw. If not you roll cast and begin again...

Yep, I could be wrong, but I think it's illegal here, just like "snagging" them in the back or tail or anywhere else.

#44 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

Yep, I could be wrong, but I think it's illegal here, just like "snagging" them in the back or tail or anywhere else.

It is legal as long as the hook is caught on the fish’s jaw. We had a game warden come by and watch us and was talking to our guide so I’m pretty sure it’s fine. 

OTOH they take their fishing regulations extremely seriously in Alaska. I was talking to a local who said because the Fisheries department changes their regulations, sometimes hourly, that he refuses to fish by himself but rather uses a guide to ensure he doesn’t get written up. Fines up here can be enormous!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#45 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:08 PM

It is legal as long as the hook is caught on the fish’s jaw. We had a game warden come by and watch us and was talking to our guide so I’m pretty sure it’s fine...

Nope, illegal here.  I just confirmed with Fish and Wildlife.  That's why I wrote, "here".  It may be legal in Virginia, North Carolina, and based on what you stated it is legal in Alaska.   Definitely not legal here.

#46 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:43 AM

Perhaps I didn’t explain the methodology as well as I should have...

Here’s a video produced by ADF&G on now to fish for Reds... Go to the 9:30 mark to see what we did...

Edited by ski3pin, 14 July 2020 - 02:16 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#47 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

I get it, it's flossing, I'm just saying we're not allowed to fish that way here.  You may be able to fish that way anywhere else, but not here.  Based on your username and post(s) I don't think you're doing that here, you're doing that somewhere else, there.  It's flossing.

#48 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

I don’t want to get into a pi$$ing match with you but I am in Fairbanks as I type this and have been in Alaska for over a month. We hired a guide from one of the best fishing outfitters in Alaska and it seems highly unlikely that they would promote doing anything illegal that would jeopardize their license. As I’m sure you know, the fines for not following the rules here are very severe. As I said before one of the Wardens stopped by when we were on a gravel bar and talked to one of the 4 guides there with their clients so if we were doing anything the least bit unethical, let alone illegal, we would have been taken to the woodshed.

Plus the fact that my moral compass doesn’t point in that direction...out.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#49 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:28 PM

Laws vary from city to city, county to county and state to state?  What's legal here may not be there, and vice-versa.  Based on what you have said, what you are doing is legal THERE.  It is not legal HERE.  I am agreeing with you, and pointing out a difference.  That's all.

#50 campinflyfisher

campinflyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:08 AM

Thanks WS.  In all my years I have never seen this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users