Photo
- - - - -

OK to Jack-up Truck on Rear Leaf Spring?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:49 PM

Bought a bottle jack and with deflated tire it would be too tight to jack-up truck/Hawk on axle...but leaf spring just forward of the axle is a point where the jack would fit.

Is there a problem jacking the Tundra/Hawk by placing the jack next to the axle on the bottom of the leaf springs?

Thanks...Phil

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:59 PM

I doubt you would break anything, but I think it's a bad idea.  Good chance the vehicle will shift.

Usually in your scenario you can use your factory jack until you get the axle high enough to get the bottle jack underneath the ideal jacking location.

I usually like to use my factory jack in addition to the bottle jack as a safety after that.  Most of the weight of the vehicle goes onto the bottle jack and the factory jack is used as if it were jack stands, just incase the bottle jack loses pressure.

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

The leaf spring is more than strong enough to handle the load, but as Bill D said I would be worried about shifting.

To get extra clearance with a flat tire put a piece of wood or rock in front of the tire and drive on to it. As long as you are mindful of not pinching the tire or damaging the rim you will be fine. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

Keep a lightweight jackstand with you in the truck. Then you can use your bottle jack to jack the truck up slightly from the leaf spring, place the jackstand under the axle, then move the bottle jack under the axle and keep jacking it up.

I bought a set of these lightweight aluminum jackstands, and always keep one in the truck.

https://www.amazon.c...86376430&sr=8-1

Edited by trikebubble, 08 April 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

As usual you guys are great!  Two excellent suggestions....honestly no matter where on the axle will be subject to shifting...except under the leaf spring mounting bracket under the axle where there is a nice rectangular recessed pocket which would prevent shifting off the jack head...

Thanks...I now have options...also since I have high quality compressor if needed, I was thinking of airing the tire back up, unless it lost air quicker than the compressor could put it in, and then inserting the bottle jack...

Appreciate the suggestions and work-arounds...

Phil

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:02 PM

We had this situation happen to us last year in Namibia. What we ended up doing is to dig into the ground a few inches to allow the jack to sit in its proper location.

Worked great!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

Namibia, Ohio?...............................You lucky dog!   B)

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users