• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:13 PM

I am purchasing a fleet shell. I would like to know the height of the very bottom of the camper when it is off the truck and the camper jacks are at their lowest position?
This will help me determine how high I need to build a dolly as I have minimal clearance in my garage.

Edited by Bmusbob, 09 April 2020 - 05:14 PM.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:14 PM

I've had two different campers with two different final heights when at the bottom.  Somewhere around 6-10" I think.

#3 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

I've got a 2014 Hawk so might be different than yours, but FWIW, I can lower my Hawk to about 9" above ground level. 

Can't imagine that you could build a dolly that low.  I used 6" casters and 2x6 framing on my dolly so the overall height of the dolly is about 14".

Edited by PJorgen, 09 April 2020 - 09:17 PM.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#4 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

Thank you,

I would assume 12-13 inches would suffice and leave a little room for moving. Just a little lip from the driveway into the garage.

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

Howdy

Just ask the seller to measure the distance from bottom of the jacks to the bottom of the camper......and or to the to of the camper itself.

If the jacks are mounted on the camper now it is a very straightforward thing to measure.....

#6 villageidiot

villageidiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

i built my dolly using 6" casters, a 2x4 frame, sheeted with 5/8" ply and a 2x6 with the casters mounted to it, id estimate it to be about 14" off the ground.

i can't pop the camper up in my garage as i have a big beam running down the middle of it. i could pop the camper if i rotated the camper and got it in front of the beam, but it doesn't really matter much. 

7a5f9d93-0faa-42a1-b15a-e939704d0064-jpe

befeba01-27bd-486a-a8a9-78ca901b9d6e-jpe

5d9f99e4-c927-4629-9e7e-2c1c17d480f0-jpe

#7 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

Hey villageidiot:)

Thanks, that's perfect.
Curious, I wouldn't think it's necessary to build one to cover the entire bottom of the camper? I will definitely make it so it will not tip either way when moving. There's not a lot of room in my garage and I would assume the campers are built tough enough so sag or warping would not occur?

This will help to save storage room for the dolly in garage when camper is on the truck? 
Also, did you fill the lip between the pavement and concrete? If so what did/do you use?

#8 villageidiot

villageidiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

Sag definitely can occur especially if your camper is older and run down (see my thread for the shape the camper was in when I started)

I’d just make it the size of the bottom of the floor, tipped up on its side and strapped to a wall for storage it doesn’t take up any more space

Edited by villageidiot, 11 April 2020 - 07:22 PM.

#9 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

Thank you,

Good to know.

I am picking up a brand new Fleet Shell in July 2020. 

Did you happen to see the question regarding the lip entering the garage between the pavement and the garage slab.

Did you fill it? If so what did/do you use?

I have a pretty big lip/gap there and would like to fill it as I have to roll the camper into the garage by myself.

Could be problematic on the way in. 

#10 villageidiot

villageidiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thank you,
Good to know.
I am picking up a brand new Fleet Shell in July 2020.
Did you happen to see the question regarding the lip entering the garage between the pavement and the garage slab.
Did you fill it? If so what did/do you use?
I have a pretty big lip/gap there and would like to fill it as I have to roll the camper into the garage by myself.
Could be problematic on the way in.

Depending on the height of the lip, I think a 6” caster wheel will roll right over anything normal. It rolls very easily with the camper on. I don’t think it’ll be an issue.

I have a small bump up into my garage from the driveway, and when it was at work, there’s lumps all over that driveway and it doesn’t seem to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users