keystone build remodel

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:03 PM

I decided to go with some vinyl stick together planks from TrafficMaster. Adding trim and L-tracks (this is how I am going to reinstall the couch so I can take it out with some ease to have more hauling space when not camping) are the next steps. Once those are in the couch will go back in. Hopefully those pieces arrive this week. 

Flooring

Starting to shop for the electrical upgrade. Need to add a converter/charger, 12 volt fuse box, and an inverter. I have been reading and watching tons about 12 volt systems but am still a tiny bit confused. I have been looking for a good wiring diagram but cannot see to find one that isn't really confusing. 

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:52 AM

looking good!  What do you want to know about a 12V system?  What is the inverter for?  Knowing that will help plan the rest of the system.  How many independent circuits do you want?  I personally dislike the stock system where the fan and lights are on the same fuse, but changing that is major work for most folks.

I'm finishing up my build, and it is just about time to create the electrical drawings and such...

#13 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

I don't have a bunch of electric needs right now. Just lights, fan, heater, USB charging ports, and maybe a small electric water pump. my 100AH batter doesn't get that much use as 80% of use is the LED lights. Would like the option of 110v to charger a lap top or something small that isn't 12 volt. I live in my camper most of the summer and can stay plugged into shore power really easy so I have been using a small fan at night. I have an inverter already so thought it might be nice for that as well.

With the uncertainty of paid work in the future I am trying to keep my budget low. However I would rather spend a little extra money for something that is going to work for the long term. Planning on adding solar down the road, between 100 and 200w, so want to prep for adding that with "ease" when it happens. Fingers crossed for some excellent sales!  

Electric Diagram Draft

Here is my draft diagram for now. Need to add in a kill switch, monitor, and isolator. Probably something else missing as well. 

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:02 AM

Good basic diagram.  The kill switch isn't super necessary, and could be conjoined with a small breaker that you can pull if you want to kill all power.  If you already have an inverter big enough, I would buy a separate charger, like the NOCO brand.  I had a 7200 in my Hawk (7A) that could keep up with most loads I put on it, but was "undersized" if I wanted to recharge my 275AH batteries in a day.  I have a NOCO 26000 now that does 26A.

I don't know that you need an AC breaker box if you are not running AC power directly to AC plugs in your camper.  If you are JUST going to the battery charger, you should be ok without an AC panel.  That said, I don't know what the RV Electrical code is in your region.

I notice you don't show any connection to the truck for charging while driving.  If you are considering that, I'd look at one of the newer units that does DC/DC conversion, plus Solar MPPT all in one box.  Renogy has one, as does Victron and CTEK and maybe RedArc?

You still need a true battery monitor.  If you like Victron, they make a very good one.  Will Prouse reviewed an inexpensive knockoff a while back that costs way less.

#15 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Here is what I am starting with. AC breaker box with what I assume is a 12v fuse "box."

Shock Box

Since the AC breaker box was already there I thought I would just keep it in the system. Also would be nice to have the ability to use my AC plugs. So out of the breaker box would be a converter/charger? Seems like Iota is what most use. To run those plugs when not plugged into shore power my camper came with an older looking (still in original packaging) 1000W modified sine wave dc to ac power inverter. 

I had been charging my batter with my NOCO 3500(now called Genius5). It has been working great to keep camper and motorcycle batteries charged up. Thought about installing this in the camper but like to have it mobile to charger other things. 

A DC/DC conversion plus a solar MPPT wasn't really on my radar. Less boxes that control things the better! To be clear I could have one of those and add a solar panel later? My truck battery would charger my camper battery, but do I need an isolator switch or is that build it? Need to check to make sure my alternator is up to snuff. 

To help me think through things and learn here is an updated basic diagram.

Electrickery Draft II

Going to have to do more research in a nice middle ground battery monitor I think. Cheap knocks offs make me nervous when using them in something that gets a lot of use. I did go with a knock off diesel heater so we will see how that turns out. 

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:55 AM

NOCO has an inexpensive dongle that you can wire permanently to you batteries, and plug the other end into your charger when you need to.  Keeps it portable.

I'd consider wiring some of your AC plug to shore power via the breaker box, and some to the inverter for use on battery only.  That way you can choose where your AC comes from.  Converting AC to DC back to AC again is less than efficient.

Otherwise, it looks like a good rough diagram.

#17 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:27 PM

I think my charger came with that dongle, will have to take a look in the box tonight.

Wiring some AC for shore and the others via an inverter is a good idea. I am still debating weather I need any AC power. After some thought I may just put my efforts into into the 12v system and add solar now. My AC needs can easily be met for the longer term via an extension cord. 

But I am going to finish the trim on the flooring do some prep work for putting the couch and such back in. Going to install the couch via L-Track with these attachment pieces (hopefully they arrive early next week). If all goes well I should be able to have seating that can be taken out with "ease."

#18 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:07 PM

Went to the store for some supplies. Got some screws and L-brackets to so I could finish the install of the couch on the L-track system. They were low on trim so I decided to save that or another day. 

Got the L-Track and couch all installed. Seems to work just how I was hoping and planning. Still just need a little detail work, but that requires another trip to the store which I will save for another day. 

L-Track Version 1

Now that the couch is back in I am thinking and working through how to attach my cushions in a way that they stay in place while driving, but also can convert into a bed. Any thoughts out there? 

Couch 2
Full Couch

Right now one piece just sits half on legs, half on the couch frame. The other piece just sits on the couch frame and the other part on the side of the camper. 

#19 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:25 AM

Unless your truck has a "smart" alternator a DC-DC charger is not necessary, an VCR/ACR is sufficient and may be a bit cheaper.

I use a Blue Sea 7622 Ml-ACR between our 1993 Dodge and the battery bank in our 2007 FWC Keystone.  However, charging from the truck alternator is seldom required because we sized our solar system reasonably to our needs, 200 W solar with 220 Ah battery bank.

If the solar system were 300 W - 350 W I am confident we would never need a charge from the alternator or shore power.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keystone, build, remodel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users