• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kbaumgarten

kbaumgarten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

I'm looking for design ideas for a dolly for a FWC Hawk. It needs to roll 50' on gravel so I'm thinking 10' pneumatic casters. Anyone built one like this? Thanks!

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:40 PM

Howdy

Don't even bother....just buy or borrow a suitable trailer......

David Graves

#3 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Best of both worlds: add a tongue and hitch to your dolly so you can tow it across the gravel. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#4 CrudTruck

CrudTruck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

I use a second hand el cheapo Harbor Freight folding trailer around here.  It can be schlepped around with a small tractor (probably not a riding mower type, though) as long as the surfact is fairly level.

The trailers are fairly common on Craiglist.  And you can use them for other stuff if you put the camper on its jacks.

I've used 8" casters to make a number of Very Large Things (300 gallon compressor, f'rinstance) sort of portable.  Those are too small unless your gravel is very smooth and well packed.  10" casters might work, or 12" garden trailer tires (though you'd have to figure out someway to make those steerable).

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

I'm looking for design ideas for a dolly for a FWC Hawk. It needs to roll 50' on gravel so I'm thinking 10' pneumatic casters. Anyone built one like this? Thanks!

We also have a gravel driveway, and I built a stand for my pickup canopy.  Lesson learned was to go with solid rubber tires.  I used inexpensive Chinese pneumatic castors from Harbor Freight.  In just over a year two of the tires have rotted.  

I am haunted by waters

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:16 PM

If a true dolly is the goal then I would use something like wheel barrow tires and make one end steer like a lil red wagon.

Otherwise one of the HF/NT kit trailers sounds like an easier and better plan.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

I also use a Harbor Freight trailer with a piece of plywood.  Allows me to go in and out of the camper and not worry about it. And its easy to move around. 

My trailer is the heavy payload HF trailer which looks like a heavier axle but with HF, who knows.....

One could probably forego the truck and just secure the camper to the trailer. 

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users