33 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:34 PM

OK...as usual I got lost in this thread...You run the 4x4 to lube the gears once a month..why?  What difference does it make to move the lube around inside a gear box or transfer case if the vehicle is not being driven?  I get that you need lube distributed within the cases and on the gears but why is it "time dependent"?  If you let the truck sit for two years what damage is done?  If after two years you slowly run the vehicle under light load until the lube is distributed what harm could happen? 

Not being a wise guy here, but I just don't see the purpose and what damage would be done.

Thanks for any explanations..Phil

#22 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:15 PM

Years ago, I worked as a parts mgr  for a Jeep dealer. We encouraged customers to use 4WD regularly to ensure the parts were coated with lube. Otherwise, any water that managed to get into the axle housing from water features, condensation, or driving on the beach to fish could result in rust forming on the machined surfaces and causing wear & contamination of the lube. Also, kept seals from drying out. 

Don’t know how many might develop a problem but at least some pasture princess jeeps being bought after some time parked in the back forty had some rust. Materials and lubes are probably better now than 40+ years ago.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#23 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:20 PM

I've seen the rust on ring gears that sat for long periods of time. Is modern stuff more resistant? I don't know. Tiny movement from wind can cause wheel bearings to form ungreased spots that eventually begin to rust. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#24 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:14 PM

OK...as usual I got lost in this thread...You run the 4x4 to lube the gears once a month..why?  What difference does it make to move the lube around inside a gear box or transfer case if the vehicle is not being driven?  I get that you need lube distributed within the cases and on the gears but why is it "time dependent"?  If you let the truck sit for two years what damage is done?  If after two years you slowly run the vehicle under light load until the lube is distributed what harm could happen? 

Not being a wise guy here, but I just don't see the purpose and what damage would be done.

Thanks for any explanations..Phil

Phil, check post #14. Regularly locking manual hubs or engaging 4x4 with auto hubs is simply intended to lube the front ring gear and upper knuckle bearings. There's no need to engage four-wheel drive to lube the transfer case gears, as all those gears receive lube in normal driving. 

For a vehicle that sits for months it might be different. It would take a long time for 90-weight oil to bleed off everything, but once it did there might be an issue with condensation on the gears that could cause rust. But I think it would be a long time before any possible damage occurred.

#25 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:05 AM

Phil, check post #14. Regularly locking manual hubs or engaging 4x4 with auto hubs is simply intended to lube the front ring gear and upper knuckle bearings. There's no need to engage four-wheel drive to lube the transfer case gears, as all those gears receive lube in normal driving. 

For a vehicle that sits for months it might be different. It would take a long time for 90-weight oil to bleed off everything, but once it did there might be an issue with condensation on the gears that could cause rust. But I think it would be a long time before any possible damage occurred.

Got it...I understand that "dry gears" have friction [as do bearings] but just could not wrap my head around that for the time it took to pick up and distribute lube once moving that it could damage gears or bearings...as it still is difficult for me to imagine moisture in a gear box...I understand condensation but the amount seemed insignificant...live and learn and was glad to know that just driving, not 4 wheel engaged, would distribute the lube...knuckle and ring require 4X...

Thanks everyone for download..

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 30 April 2020 - 01:12 AM.

#26 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

I look at it like our human body. If we don't move every so often, we :

get rusty

dry out

tires go flat

seals fail

don't get lubed

mice/squirrels build nests

get sun bleached

snow/pollen/dust builds up,,,,,,etc

This is, unfortunately, the longest my rig has sat in front of the house. I still get in and drive it 3-20 miles once every week or so.

#27 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

A big thanks to all! SoCal is pretty famous for being paved over so finding some dirt requires a drive. “Honey, I’ll be back in a bit. I need to go lubricate my gears!” 👍😂

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#28 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:04 PM

We have a 2013 Tacoma 4WD

My  mechanic says to stop on asphalt, Put it in 4 wheel High then drive 3 or 4 blocks below 55 mph which is enough time to lubricate the transfer case. I can make sweeping right or left turns and it won't hurt  the case.  

Come to a full stop again...The put it back into 2 wheel High. do it once per month

The front axle lubricates all the time because its turning all the time.

I'm glad you asked this question because I haven't had the truck off road since February.

OOOps made a mistake

Lastly because the truck and camper are heavy we change out the transmission and transfer case every 15,000 miles. We do all the fluids every 30,000 miles. Fluids are cheaper than replacing parts.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 17 May 2020 - 12:58 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#29 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:05 AM

Interesting Jim, that he says to come to a stop. Seems like that used to be the suggested/preferred method. Now they say on the fly ,anything under 50 mph or so. Personally I won't go over about 5 mph , worrying about all those expensive gears.

Come to think of it, I believe my 2015 Silverado manual says to be moving to make a 4 hi shift.

I am with you on the fluids, and filters. Inspite of dial soap and dryer sheets, mice or squirrels have found my cabin air filter, packing it with seeds and grass

#30 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:36 AM

It's also good for the shift on the fly shift motor, over time without use can make the actuator stick and not engage system when needed. I have seen a number of problems with customer vehicles whom do not use 4wd very often, having to replace actuators and switches. If you don't use it you lose it !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users