• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:40 AM

I am getting a Fleet shell for my 2004 Taco TRD. No suspension mods other than air bags. It sits at stock height/level. I know the height will vary a bit but, I am trying to get a ballpark idea on how high the camper door entrance is at the top of the door frame with a similar if not the same rig? If you have a look at the pic, this is what I have been doing for 20 years. I put the popup over the truck and the popup goes between the bed and cab with the walls and the entire back end of the truck is enclosed. I sleep in the shell and my table, coolers, etc are under the popup out of the elements.

Why I want the height? I would like to implement the same thing only now off of the back of the camper if possible. If I can get away from buying an ARB awning that saves me a few $.
My popup frame is about 6 feet and change high. Saw some great ideas on here for making a rain gutter to go between the two that attaches to the popup and camper. 
Truck Camping cropped.jpg

Edited by BMUS, 13 April 2020 - 01:00 AM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

Great idea. We have a 2014 Grandby on a 2013 F-250. I would guess the height of the backside of the camper is similar, but the truck height will be different. I will measure mine and let me know. We have the rear awning (seldom used unless we are going to be completely stationary for 3 or more days) 8' Flama awning, and a 5'x6' Clam Shelter. I always liked the idea of sightseeing for the day and back right up to something like yours. jd

I am getting a Fleet shell for my 2004 Taco TRD. No suspension mods other than air bags. It sits at stock height/level. I know the height will vary a bit but, I am trying to get a ballpark idea on how high the camper door entrance is at the top of the door frame with a similar if not the same rig? If you have a look at the pic, this is what I have been doing for 20 years. I put the popup over the truck and the popup goes between the bed and cab with the walls and the entire back end of the truck is enclosed. I sleep in the shell and my table, coolers, etc are under the popup out of the elements.
Why I want the height? I would like to implement the same thing only now off of the back of the camper if possible. If I can get away from buying an ARB awning that saves me a few $.
My popup frame is about 6 feet and change high. Saw some great ideas on here for making a rain gutter to go between the two that attaches to the popup and camper.
attachicon.gif Truck Camping cropped.jpg

85" +/- from the top of the door to the driveway. Hope that helps a little. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 13 April 2020 - 01:03 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:18 PM

Ok, silly me. Apparently my brain wasn't working as normal? Maybe a little Abby Normal.
I can use the FWC site and use the Self-Guided 3D virtual tour measurement tool.
Looks like it's about 3' 10" from the bottom of the camper to the top of the door frame.
Suppose I can now measure from my truck bed up 3' 10" to get my height. :)

#4 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

Great idea. We have a 2014 Grandby on a 2013 F-250. I would guess the height of the backside of the camper is similar, but the truck height will be different. I will measure mine and let me know. We have the rear awning (seldom used unless we are going to be completely stationary for 3 or more days) 8' Flama awning, and a 5'x6' Clam Shelter. I always liked the idea of sightseeing for the day and back right up to something like yours. jd

85" +/- from the top of the door to the driveway. Hope that helps a little. jd

Thank you,

Much appreciated.

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:12 PM

BMUS

Our 2012 Eagle shell measurement is 3 feet 9.5 inches. From Top of the door shell to bottom of the camper.

Remember to duck when going in and go backwards when you go out. I'm 6 foot one inch and 220 pounds. After I banged my head a few times my body got used to the door height.

Enjoy your new to you camper.

And camping if when the isolation is lifted...Though there is always the desert.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 14 April 2020 - 11:17 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 BMUS

BMUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:46 AM

BMUS

Our 2012 Eagle shell measurement is 3 feet 9.5 inches. From Top of the door shell to bottom of the camper.

Remember to duck when going in and go backwards when you go out. I'm 6 foot one inch and 220 pounds. After I banged my head a few times my body got used to the door height.

Enjoy your new to you camper.

And camping if when the isolation is lifted...Though there is always the desert.

Thank you Jim.

Fortunately and unfortunately I guess, my pick up date is currently mid July. I hope things are settled down a bit by then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: door, Height, awning, 10x10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users