#1 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

https://www.truckcam...cles-evolution/

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

This evolution will be fun to watch! We wish them success! Many of the old timers here on Wander the West remember the birth of XPCampers and DirtyDog putting together a rally so members could meet Marc and the XP. It is in the Trip Report section - back a ways. :)

Thanks for posting this.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:14 PM

A bit out of my reach but I hope they're successful. Oddly enough I don't recall hearing mention of Steve Kozloff before. Maybe I was snoozing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

I wish them the best.  Interesting that they’re only offering the gas F350.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:26 PM

Glad to see they are back. I don't understand why they are going with a gas truck and diesel appliances. They are completely out of my price range but if I did have the money I would not go with a gas vehicle for that set up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:01 PM

After putting 3 turbo chargers, an EGR cooler, MAP sensor, and now a turbo down pipe in my truck, I think I understand the reasoning behind a gas rig.

To be honest, I love my 6.7, but I want it to work correctly.  The first replacement turbo failed after several hundred miles.  I get that stuff happens.  The second turbo, according to the service manager was bad (extremely noisy )from the box and I didn’t get to drive it.  The third turbo was also noisy at startup, but quieted when warmed up.   I put 1100 miles on it per a request from Ford, then took it back in. I suspected an exhaust leak  because of the behavior of the problem, plus a slight diesel exhaust smell on occasions.  My guess is the original down pipe was damaged in all the wrenching.  FWIW, the truck runs great, good power, good mileage, just the initial turbo/exhaust howl and smell.

i hope the down pipe is the fix, but as much as I love the truck...  it will probably be my last diesel.  I’ll go slower on the hills, and I’ll save $10,500 at the start if I replace it.

I am haunted by waters

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:39 AM

Sixteen years and I've replaced a fuel pump. The cummins is bullet proof as far as I'm concerned. As far as reliability I'd go diesel again in a heartbeat. Does it pencil out especially considering how far gas engines have, well thats another thing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:44 AM

Sixteen years and I've replaced a fuel pump. The cummins is bullet proof as far as I'm concerned. As far as reliability I'd go diesel again in a heartbeat. Does it pencil out especially considering how far gas engines have, well thats another thing.

Craig, my old 7.3L Powerstroke was the same.  I suspect the push for more torque and more horsepower, along with EPA requirements has removed a lot of bullet proofing from all modern diesels.  

I am haunted by waters

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:15 AM

Craig, my old 7.3L Powerstroke was the same.  I suspect the push for more torque and more horsepower, along with EPA requirements has removed a lot of bullet proofing from all modern diesels.  

Have you thought of trying to find an old 7.3 and renovating that?  Seems old FWC can be rebuilt to "good as new" or better... what about an older truck?

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:36 AM

Vic, I might, but it would have to be the right truck for the right price.   

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users