• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:36 AM

How does an Alaskan fit onto a flat bed trailer? I'm wanting to use a tandem axle utility trailer for my 10' NCO. This will be her permanent place on the trailer so no more taking it off/on. My question is with the width of utility trailers being wider than a pickup bed, how would I be able to steer the trailer underneath it without hitting the jacks? 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#2 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:16 AM

If your trailer isn’t more than 8’ wide, you can use jack extenders for dual wheel trucks.
When I had a Chevy dually and a 10’ CO Alaskan, I built two extenders for the front jacks out of 3/16” wall 2x2” angle iron.  Each extender was made of four 6” long pieces of angle welded into a square, the bolted in between the jack and the camper mounting plate.

#3 Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBlackfoot, Idaho

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

When I put my 10' NCO on a trailer, I narrowed the axle to match the Dodge's wheel track. Don't have jacks permanently mounted...the camper stays on the trailer 24-7.

Jim

#4 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:11 PM

I've done that type of thing before, using beams and blocks. You'll need a couple long beams, say 4"x6" maybe 10 ft long, depending on how wide your trailer is. Lift your camper high enough so when you slide the beams under it they will clear the highest point on the trailer. Set the ends of the beams on blocks: cinder blocks, chunks of railroad ties, whatever you have. Remove the jacks, position the trailer, then you should be able to set the jacks on the trailer deck to remove the beams and set the camper where you want it.   

#5 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:29 AM

Thanks y'all!  I read somewhere that tandem axle trailers ride better than single. I.e. won't have the swaying or bouncing going down the highway. Any truth to this? 

Stay safe! 

Joe

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:42 AM

I believe so, plus you have a bit of protection if you have a flat.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:01 AM

Thanks y'all!  I read somewhere that tandem axle trailers ride better than single. I.e. won't have the swaying or bouncing going down the highway. Any truth to this? 

Stay safe! 

Joe

My tandem axle trailer can sway under some conditions, although if loaded with an appropriate amount of tongue weight it rarely sways.

I agree with Sagebrush that tandems are safer with a flat. Had a blowout last month on my tandem while on a two-lane highway, but the trailer stayed up on the other tire on that side until I could pull off. 

#8 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:41 PM

One more question concerning the tandem axle trailer. Can a 1/2 ton pickup pull it okay? The trailer I'm looking at weighs around 1400lbs and you add the weight of the Alaskan at 1700 lbs plus gear and it will be around 3500lbs. I'm thinking it "should" pull it without problems. It's a 2011 Silverado 4x4. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

As always check the manufacturer specs for the answer. But I can’t imagine a 1/2 ton truck wouldn’t. Your motor isn’t a 6 cyl ?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 10 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

As always check the manufacturer specs for the answer. But I can’t imagine a 1/2 ton truck wouldn’t. Your motor isn’t a 6 cyl ?

Russ

Thanks Russ, I think you're right, it shouldn't have any problems with it. It's an 8cy. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users