#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:35 PM

This couple is amazing.

I’ve watched several of their videos particularly those through the ‘stans.

Thanks for posting!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:57 PM

I haven’t seen that one yet, good info. Thanks! 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:29 AM

Some apps I'll probably never need but I have the space and you never know. I'll just have to disagree with them on the usefulness of paper maps.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:45 AM

My wife likes paper maps.  They are useless to me without the addition of a GOOD magnifying glass.

#7 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

GPS navigation is useless to me without a paper map to get me out of  the mess my navigation got me into.I take my glasses off to read maps allthough a flashlight is some times necessary.

Edited by LAWNMOWERMAN, 23 April 2020 - 06:18 AM.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:21 PM

Some apps I'll probably never need but I have the space and you never know. I'll just have to disagree with them on the usefulness of paper maps.

I'm entirely with you on that, Craig.  IMHO, there is no complete substitute for a map, a compass, and the skillset to use them. I'm delighted a mapless world tour is working for them, and I'm genuinely impressed with their pluck and capabilities.  But I have no interest in going afield without a map and compass.  Ever.  Period.  

Foy

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

I use both - Gaia and Google Maps on iOS and gazetteers and Benchmark paper maps.   They both have their place, the paper map books are great for large scale planning, and the digital maps are much better for fine scale navigation - finding a specific trail head, or hiking.   

The issue for me is that we often head out without a specific plan or the plan changes (this is Wander the West right?), so knowing which paper maps you will need before hand is challenging.   We usually carry all the gazetteers for the general direction we are headed (say CO/UT/NM/AZ) but I don't want to load up all 50 or so Nat Geo Topos for those four states.   For that Gaia Premium on both a tablet and an iPhone is perfect.   We have all the Nat Geo Topos downloaded as well as Gaia Topo (~1:24000) for the entire Western US.   If you were doing a really long trip (as they are in the vid) I can see that carrying paper maps beyond a  world atlas would become impractical.  

What I would really like is gazetteer sized tablet with gazetteer style maps - the best of both worlds.

I also agree that the inReach is a great tool.   We carried a sat phone for a long time (I use them for work as well) but have since switched to an inReach with a powered Ram mount.   Is is always on while in the Ram mount so we have a complete map of all our journeys on the Garmin website.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:41 PM

I don't mean to deny the usefulness of a gps or the phone apps. Nothing like a gps to let me know, "oh, I'm a quarter mile away from where I thought I was on the paper map". Especially in heavily roaded areas. 

I have three map cases for paper maps in the truck. I can see that getting a bit unwieldy on worldwide trip. I wind up with a lot of paper maps because unfortunately its becoming very difficult to just grab one from a  FS office when you enter the Forest. 

They've got emergency comms covered but seem to underestimate the usefulness of being to communicate with locals. Of course thats a bit problematic if you don't speak Japanese not to mention the legalities (their cb could raise an issue in some places). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users