Chevy 5.3L vs 6.2L ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:51 AM

Lots of time on my hands these days so I have been researching a few new pick-ups. Was pretty well set on the F-150 Crew ,6'6 box and 5L, but I have  noticed there are a few Chev Trail Bosses around that are available at a good price. Has anyone here gone from the 5.3 to the 6.2 ?? Just wondering how they compare ??

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

My BIL has the 6.2 in his Centennial Edition Silverado. He loves it, claims 23+ mpg in daily driving, and it’s a rocket ship since it’s basically a Corvette engine. It has the 8-speed trans. Chevy highly recommends using premium fuel but I think BIL fills with 87. There are different anecdotal claims floating around out there. It’ll cost you $2k-$3k more to upgrade to this engine. 

We have the 5.3 in our 2010 Suburban and I like it...a lot. “Just” a 6-speed trans but for a heavy vehicle it gets up and moves, mid to high teens for daily mpg, can get 20 on highway trips. I believe the Trail Boss comes standard with the 5.3 and a 10-speed trans that gets real good reviews , don’t quote me on the pairing. These days it isn’t always about just displacement but engine+trans+diff combos. These new transmissions really work well. 

I also like the new Trail Boss but am interested in seeing what they do with a rumored ZR2-like edition for that truck. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:15 PM

Just got the dealer to send me a pic of the sticker inside the drivers door. "passengers and cargo not to exceed 1500 lbs" . That surprised me. I thought it would have been a few hundred lbs higher.  oh well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users