9 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

I'm thinking this might be one of my early trips once things open up but I'm wondering when the snow will be largely gone. How late does that area stayed snowed in? 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

We have been through there several time at different times of the year.

Our first time was a late June trip in1989 and there was still snow in the campsites,but everything was open.

One time about the same season the east side road of the crater was still closed.

Last time we were there was July 2014 all was clear.They have a strange site to get a campsite.

We had spent a night at Diamond Lake so we got to Crater early about 9ish.Were told to just find a site

that was not showing a occupied sign and come back to pay.There are some real nice sites there in the Mazama campground.

The one we had D 29 was huge with no one even close around us.

We enjoyed our stay there.With some nice places to take a hike.Especially off the East side road.

Have fun,I am envious.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:28 AM

There is a state hwy, Hwy 62 I think, that passes through that’s open all year. The Rim Rd and such are usually open by July 4th, though as mentioned a good snow yr may delay that. They have a pretty aggressive plow program that may have it open earlier. In the 70’s my Dad took us there in my Grandfathers motor home. We came in from the north entrance the 2nd weekend in July and the plowed through drifts were taller than the RV still.

Coming from Cali and wanting the latest, call tel:541-594-3100

Edited by LuckyDan, 24 April 2020 - 02:43 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:46 AM

For Crater Lake Trivia:

A few years ago a visitor's car somehow rolled over the edge and went all the way down....with their dog inside.

The dog came back up !

Its true !!!! I read it in the Oregonian.

I was not there and have no photos.

David Graves

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:43 AM

Wow, thats not the kind of trip report I plan on making :)  Sounds like I don't want to make that my first trip in June (assuming of course we can even get out then) better for a July trip. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 1980Keystone

1980Keystone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:32 PM

I took my son there the Summer before last. We went in mid-July and it was hot. The elevation is high, so it can still have snow in early or mid June. The lake is beautifully blue. I was born and grew up in Oregon so it's not far from some of my old favorite places. 

If you go, you might decide to purchase the boat ride and take the hike down to the water level to do so. If so, purchase those tickets at the first opportunity when entering the park. They usually sell out. They are not exactly inexpensive. You will have to hike back up and it is a bit challenging. I am overweight and I did it as a middle aged man, but my son had to wait for me as I stopped plenty of times to rest. I thought it was worth it because I was with my son. Maybe not if it was just me. The scenery is excellent, but the commentary not as much. You will hear the NPS guide give some good info, but misleading info too. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the 48 states, and it has no inlet, so it originally had no fish in it. The guide will tell you that mankind, in his evilness, just had to put fish in it to contaminate it. That's true only in the broadest sense possible. More specifically, it was the NPS itself that put the fish in and they've been trying to get them out ever since.

I can't tell you about the campsites as we did not stay in the park.

One other thing: the Oregon Caves and Jedediah Smith Redwoods aren't far away on the Southern Oregon coast and I think they are wonderful and fun.

Enjoy your trip.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:50 PM

Here's information on the slow reopening of the Park - 

Crater Lake to Reopen Some Areas

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

Apparently Crater Lake got a foot of snow over the weekend but most roads are open.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,587 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:27 PM

Apparently Crater Lake got a foot of snow over the weekend but most roads are open.

At Crater Lake, you can experience snow any month of the year. 

I am haunted by waters

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:08 AM

My parents can see the park from their house; I talked to them yesterday and they had gotten snow the day before. It stuck for a little bit, but the mountain peaks were still covered. They are a little lower than the park. I've been there on a day trip when it was pretty covered in snow. Some stuff was closed, some was open. You might want to call the park for info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users