14 replies to this topic

#1 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

Hi Everybody!

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to pin down what year my camper might be. 8 ft, NCO, I can find no numbers on it in the usual places. It does not have a heater, and has the 3-burner stove top with no oven. Does not have any overhead cabinets.

Does anybody know if the heaters and overhead cabinets appeared after a certain year, or were they offered as options from the beginning?

Thanks,

Phil 

#2 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:33 AM

I think there are several different places to find your numbers. I had an 8' NCO and the year was engraved on the back plate of the camper. If you're facing the door, look down at the bottom on the left side and you may see it there. If I remember correctly, there will be 6-8 numbers. The 2nd and 3rd numbers gives you your year it was made. 

I have a 64 10' NCO and I can't find the numbers anywhere? The only way I know its a 64 is because I bought it from the original owners who bought it in 64. 

Alaskans were custom ordered. So some got overhead cabinets and some different. My 8' did not but my 10' does. I'm going to guess that that would be the same with a furnace, fridge, etc. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#3 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:53 AM

I have been looking at a bunch of pictures of a bunch of campers. Some have clearance/marker lights on the front and back, some only on the sides. The campers that have marker lights on the sides seem to have older style (teardrop-shaped, but horizontal), those that have front and rear marker lights seem to have later-style oval-shaped lights. Does anybody know when the change in marker light shape and location was made?

Thanks, Phil

#4 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

My 1976 Alaskan has FIVE clearance lights in front and FIVE at the rear.

It has another clearance light and a reflector at the front of each side and another clearance light and reflector at the rear of the side panel.

Total oval clearance lights = 14

Total oval reflectors = 4

Clearance light bases: BARGMAN

Clearance RED: BARGMAN (5) (REAR

Clearance AMBER: BARGMAN (5) FRONT

Reflectors RED: REFLECT-O-LITE (2)

Reflectors AMBER: REFLECT-O-LITE (2)

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#5 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking mine is '60's or early '70's, but in the end it doesn't really matter. This is a down-the-road project, I have set in an 8 foot utility bed trailer.

Years ago I had a 10 ft NCO, bought out of the '60's pickup it had originally been mounted in. I had it in a '48 Chevy 1-ton pickup (with the 9-foot bed). Not worth a lot, but I get the same feel when I'm in this 8-footer.

Thanks Again! 

#6 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:03 AM

I have been looking at a bunch of pictures of a bunch of campers. Some have clearance/marker lights on the front and back, some only on the sides. The campers that have marker lights on the sides seem to have older style (teardrop-shaped, but horizontal), those that have front and rear marker lights seem to have later-style oval-shaped lights. Does anybody know when the change in marker light shape and location was made?

Thanks, Phil

Hi Philthytoo:

The 1969 Alaskan campers has 2 teardrop markers lights mounted horizontally at the front (amber lens) and rear (red lens) on each side. They also have the Hehr standard windows sets with 2 stacked, top-hinged aluminum framed windows each side of a center fixed picture window.

The 1971 (or so) Alaskan campers have 2 rectangular markers lights on each side (amber front and red rear) and the newer Hehr square-cornered window sets with 1 square sliding window fore and aft of the center fixed picture window. They also have 2 rectangular marker lights on the front corners of the camper and likely two at the rear corners also.

These features are shown in the 1969 and 1971 sales brochures just posted in the Alaskan Brochures locked thread at the top of this page. Enjoy!

Denver Alaskan

#7 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:35 AM

Thanks to Denver Alaskan. 

As I figured, my camper appears to be sixties vintage.

#8 Igottasail

Igottasail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:25 AM

I have a 1969. 10 NCO. When I pulled the old water tank out there was a date on it. Also sometimes you can look at the window designs they changed a couple of times.

#9 Desertsailboat

Desertsailboat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSierra's

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

With the camper raised look at the rear driver-side corner. There should be a serial number stamped into the metal. I can't remember what numbers are which, but the year is in there. As far as upper cabinets and heater, I owned a 1964 and it had upper cabinets. I do know the original Alcan Campers before they were Alaskans did not have upper cabinets. Those campers are pre 1960's. 

#10 Philthytoo

Philthytoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:52 PM

Alaskan Trailer.jpg

It's towards the end of a list of projects, but this is a mock-up of an idea I've had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users