Go camping under stay at home order?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:08 PM

Soooooo, the weather is getting nice and I've got the itch to take a trip here in CO.  But, we are on stay at home orders until May 8 now (thank you Boulder county).  What are other adventurous campers doing?

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:47 PM

Staying home as we should.

Check out this current thread -

Health Scare and Trip Planning

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:48 PM

Not sure of the specifics there in your neck of the woods in CO, but it's my understanding that (here in So AZ at least) a stay-at-home order refers to limiting your travel to 'necessary' trips, not gathering in groups, wearing a mask when in close contact with others, and the usual kinds of precautions that are widely advertised across the country.  We've already done several dispersed camping trips in our local BLM lands this Spring, and are planning a few more in FS lands soon.  I believe all national forests are technically still open and available for dispersed camping even if developed campgrounds might be closed.  The fine print (or lack thereof) within that SAH order for your area might mean that you can head out into the woods after all, ya never know... Enjoy,

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 12:44 AM

Hello there

Soooooo, the weather is getting nice and I've got the itch to take a trip here in CO.  But, we are on stay at home orders until May 8 now (thank you Boulder county).  What are other adventurous campers doing?

Why can it be that you are asking an online forum of folks how they feel about skirting the issue of the current stay at home orders that  are an effort by our governments and medical authorities to combat this universal health threat.....?

Generally. among adults, one makes ones own decision about doing the right thing....or not. 

I am not preaching, nor do I care what you do....but I just have trouble with the notion that "its okay if others are doing it...."

I wish we could have a "stay off the internet order" for a few years  in order to regain some sort of sense of right, wrong and individual responsibilety.

David Graves 

Edited by DavidGraves, 26 April 2020 - 12:45 AM.

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 April 2020 - 01:10 AM

Getting real hard to stay home, pop-up is packed and  ready to go, maps in the truck , but I'm 76, got malaria in the Army 50 years ago, and scared to take a chance of getting this stuff, so I use a mask, watch where I go and what I do, because I want to make 77 and make the next get together! But boy it is sure getting hard, cause in 15 minutes I can be in the high desert!  So I walk the dog and plan the next trip. We got to be tough thou, that stuff  will kill ya, so stay home!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 26 April 2020 - 01:35 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:55 AM

Hard time for all of us and I suspect we all are in the same boat. My wife and I are sitting at home in Tennessee having expected to be leaving for the West May 1st. 

We are staying put because this virus haunting all of us has no cure and at present there is more that is not known than is known about it. Once our country gets caught up on testing we will all have the means to make more intelligent decisions. So far nothing any of us have done has made the virus any less deadly and infection rates are still climbing in some parts of the country. Now I know most of us have been following the rules to flatten the curve, but we have also seen the close-contact crowd claiming the virus is a hoax. That means it is not enough that you are virus free and we are virus free unless you can be assured you will not come in contact with the disbelievers who may be carriers.

It will not be much longer until we can all be back doing what we love. That's where I stand.

Ardvark 

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:09 AM

The kicker is, those who are out there now are enjoying the best of it - fewer people, clearer skies, more visible wildlife - while the rest are marking time at home. Or imagine "home" being a Natl Park town site like Banff or Jasper, living there and being able to enjoy the park with no tourists !!

When orders ease up and all types of parks and public land are open I think those places are gonna be an absolute poop show. Meanwhile, those who had already grabbed the loopholes might be all relaxed and choose to stay at home... <sigh>

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

Its tough. Only so much looking at maps you can do. Right now our national forests in this area are under winter closure. When the winter closure is lifted but the stay at home orders aren't thats when I'll have a tough choice. I can go camping locally bypassing the local communities, don't buy food or fuel just head up to remote spots where I'll be all by myself. Should I? I'm debating that with myself right now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 April 2020 - 05:40 AM

I dunno.  Even if I could go around here, I'd have to think about the example I am setting for folks that can't know what my thinking was, or how safe/unsafe I was being.  I'd have to think about what might happen if I got hurt or stuck and other folks had to put themselves in jeopardy to help me out.  

It's not just about me... but also all the others who are in this mess with us.

I keep reminding myself, that we're stronger together.

#10 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 26 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Before the stay at home order came in I would do my jogging/cycling on the shoulder of our parks perimeter roadway.  This allowed me to avoid others by a wide margin, as they routinely stayed on the pedestrian path deeper inside of the road.  Then the other parks in the area closed, which only forced more people to this particular facility.  That's when I began seeing a few people sharing the shoulder with me.  Still, it remained easy enough to avoid them by a safe distance.  The following week they closed this park as well.  Now others would ride, walk, jog, skate, maybe even Pogo stick into the area just outside the park, an area  that normally would have few pedestrians.  Unable to avoid breaking the 6 foot distance, I stopped going to that area. 

Denial remains a huge, maybe even a very amazingly great human condition.   I am confident we will be better prepared for the next pandemic.  Or maybe I'm just having a wishful thinking moment.

Stay safe, avoid other humans.

100_2029.JPG The idea that I was once here, seems unreal.

In our area going out for a walk or run is not a crime, as long as you maintain a safe distance.  Based on some of the other comments here, maybe in their areas it is.

Home Depot and Lowes are as crowded as they have ever been.

Edited by crumbs, 27 April 2020 - 03:15 AM.

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users