• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#11 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:08 PM

This has been really tough for most of us i suspect. Usually at this time of year i am in the SW/AZ/UT, and it is always one of the highlights of my travel year. This year, nope. Was about to head down anyway, but at the last minute decided to stick to the plan. 

One of my long time travel partners has continued on as normal travel wise. He justifies his choices by saying that for part of the year his van is his home. 

I think it comes down to an individuals choice, i just hope the decisions of others don't hurt people who are trying to do what many believe to be the right thing.

We have been packed for a month now, waiting on this trip to get green lit, window is closing, work is waiting? Scotland was supposedly august, now it's off. Baja in Dec? Maybe copper canyon?

u

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

Here's a glimpse this morning from our rural community that borders the most heavily used (recreation) National Forest in Northern California. There was a big line of jacked up rigs in Safeway parking lot - the usual "line 'em up" spot for out of towners. No face masks, in and out of the store, no physical distancing. They escaped before the locals could put together a bombing run.

Their activity is disregarding the consistent message -

gallery_1902_252_35624.jpg

We have a particularly vicious checker who flat tells them to get the hell out and go home, "Stay at home, get it?" She's becoming a bit of a folk hero.

We're all in this together. Let's pull together, stay home, and get this all over with sooner than later. I'm following the protocols to help others.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

The longer this goes on the harder it is to justify universal lockdown.  We have enough data to know who the at risk demographics are:  if you are over 65 with other health issues - be very careful.  If you are under 45, your risks are about the same as for normal flu.

Quarantine comes from the Italian words for 40 days; which is about how long people will tolerate being cooped up.  It doesn't matter what health officials want or the governor wants, people won't go along.

Smart public health officials will adjust their plans accordingly.  Stupid ones will call them stupid and try to force compliance.

Central park, NYC, 4/25/2020 (yesterday)

central park.jpg

Edited by JaSAn, 26 April 2020 - 06:12 PM.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:02 PM

Here's a glimpse this morning from our rural community that borders the most heavily used (recreation) National Forest in Northern California. There was a big line of jacked up rigs in Safeway parking lot - the usual "line 'em up" spot for out of towners. No face masks, in and out of the store, no physical distancing. They escaped before the locals could put together a bombing run.

We have a particularly vicious checker who flat tells them to get the hell out and go home, "Stay at home, get it?" She's becoming a bit of a folk hero.

We're all in this together. Let's pull together, stay home, and get this all over with sooner than later. I'm following the protocols to help others.

Thanks Ski for your continued info and advice.

I know it's a lot easier for a lot of us to stay in place,but if it's needed that's what we need to do.

My daughter in Barcelona,Spain has been inside going on their 8th week.They do get out to the stores and other vital

shops.Today children are going out under adult supervision.

It's working for the heaviest hit areas.Things should ease up soon.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:10 PM

Living in western Colorado we have an abundance of sparsely visited public lands nearby. As tempting as it maybe to pack up go dispersed camping, we are staying home.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#16 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

Let's pull together, stay home, and get this all over with sooner than later.

How will it get all over, that's something I can't get my head around.

If we're talking this virus, is it vaccination or post infection immunity - that could take years. Or containment thru the strict adherence to precautions (what contained SARS in the 2003 Toronto outbreaks) - well, we're a long way from that in my country.

The notion in March that if we all stay home for 2 or 3 weeks we could then go back to normal hasn't panned out. So now how will we get past it ?

If we're talking travel restrictions and recreation closures, I think that is coming fairly soon in my country. Here in BC the 3rd Monday in May is a long weekend, considered the start of Summer. It's going to be hard to stop people from heading out. There is already slippage and pent up desire. I think the parks here may be open then, and well attended. I can imagine a consequence being more infections.

Reinstating orders and closures after a spike could be tough to do but may be deemed necessary.
I see this sickness affecting us for a long time. Normal will have changed, not sure how we will handle it personally.

As to the OP, I'm not planning trips. I pulled the truck insurance mid March. Maybe look to the Fall but quite possibly nothing this year. But some hiking and other outdoor stuff ? I do hope so.

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:19 PM

My job has been deemed essential so I've been commuting to work as WFH is not possible. I'm seeing more and more traffic each day. It is getting to the point where the authorities at the very top (given his tweets on the topic I don't expect the bloody idiot to be worth anything) are going to have to declare martial law and suspend the Constitution if they want this continue. I do not think that KA's county health admins have the  power to suspend the Constitution. There is no check and balance in place if they did. So their orders might temporarily have law enforcement behind them because there is code that says that they can do this, but to the best of my knowledge it has never been tested for Constitutionality. A test that it should fail. If it does not, we're in trouble.

That said so far I've been complying as best as I can and it's making me crazy. I can't imagine staying home & going nowhere except for the market for this long.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:51 PM

We have enough data to know who the at risk demographics are:  if you are over 65 with other health issues - be very careful.  If you are under 45, your risks are about the same as for normal flu.

It seems like there's still new data emerging.  For example, I don't know if there are good statistics yet for mortality rates from clotting caused by covid, which has been causing deaths by stroke, heart attacks, and pulmonary embolisms, even in otherwise healthy middle aged people.   

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#19 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:12 AM

This checker is my new hero. Brava!

Alan

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:54 AM

Coarse language, but states the case clearly LINK

Edited by Vic Harder, 27 April 2020 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users