23 replies to this topic

#1 buckst4

buckst4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorth Cascades

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:33 PM

I'm looking at upgrading from AGM to Lithium and am currently exploring the details.  Does anyone know if the Iota DLS-30/IQ4 that came with my 2017 Hawk will properly charge a lithium battery?  Iota sells an optional item called an IQ-LIFEPO that connects to their DLS-30 unit but I'm wondering if it will work on my DLS-30 model that has the IQ4 functionality built into it.  If not, looks like I'd need to replace the current Iota with either their base model + LIFEPO adaptor or go to a different brand charger altogether.

Any info you can share would be much appreciated.

#2 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

bucks I was wondering the same thing in planning the buildout on my new Hawk Shell. So do you mind if I also ask if it is the same one used on the 2020 models and would also require the same for Lithium?

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

Unless there has been an update from Iota, the built-in IQ4 can not be updated to support LiFePO4 batteries optimally. My Iota DLS-30 has the external IQ4, so I replaced the lead acid version with the IQ4-LIFEPO when I switched to Battleborn batteries as it cost only $18.

Call the battery mfg. support line to ask if their battery will be fine with your Iota. It may not be the optimal charging protocol but workable.  This is especially true if you have solar with a LiFePO4 charging protocol.

Keep in mind that the truck charging system is also not optimized for LiFePO4 and few people worry about that. 
Go for the switch to lithium and if your Iota fails in the future or the economy improves & you’re feeling flush with cash, you can always get the Iota with IQ4-LIFEPO unit at that time.  Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

I would second what Paul started as I went through this last fall. Bought the IQ4-LIFEPO only to discover it’s not compatible with Iotas that have onboard IQ4. Next step, which should have been my first step, was to contact the battery company. The Iota change profile has a bulk rate that is above what my Lion Energy batteries require (14.6v) and then the multi stage profile drops it down below 14.6v. Lion Energy advised that the batteries can handle up to 15v and the BMS in the batteries would limit the charging if exceeded. They told me the charge profile of the Iota would not be harmful, just not efficient. As I rarely rely on shore power to charge the batteries I’m not worrying about it.

The truck to camper charging is the bigger concern and I’m currently upping my wires to 4AWG and installing a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger. Late model vehicles have smart alternators that limit charging once the vehicle battery attains a specified voltage, consequently you will not get enough voltage to the camper battery to charge. There are also risks to the vehicle system. https://www.victrone...arging-lithium/

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

Very well said.   I don't think the IQ4-LiFePO is really much better than the default.   If you only use the shore power occasionally (or pretty much not at all, like me) then just leave it with the default Iota converter. 

If you expect to use shore power a lot and leave your camper plugged in, then it is probably worth upgrading to a configurable charger (not converter) so you can dial in the right profile for your battery. 

PS Veryactiveife, if you are going with the a DC-DC charger, then you probably don't need to upgrade your wires - that is one of the selling points of the DC-DC.

I would second what Paul started as I went through this last fall. Bought the IQ4-LIFEPO only to discover it’s not compatible with Iotas that have onboard IQ4. Next step, which should have been my first step, was to contact the battery company. The Iota change profile has a bulk rate that is above what my Lion Energy batteries require (14.6v) and then the multi stage profile drops it down below 14.6v. Lion Energy advised that the batteries can handle up to 15v and the BMS in the batteries would limit the charging if exceeded. They told me the charge profile of the Iota would not be harmful, just not efficient. As I rarely rely on shore power to charge the batteries I’m not worrying about it.

The truck to camper charging is the bigger concern and I’m currently upping my wires to 4AWG and installing a Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC charger. Late model vehicles have smart alternators that limit charging once the vehicle battery attains a specified voltage, consequently you will not get enough voltage to the camper battery to charge. There are also risks to the vehicle system. https://www.victrone...arging-lithium/

Dean

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 buckst4

buckst4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorth Cascades

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:18 AM

Thanks all for your input on my charging question.  Rando, your point about how often shore power gets used is spot on.  For me it's an infrequent thing and your advice to leave the Iota alone makes sense. The concern raised by Paul & Dean about truck alternator charging has me exploring the DC-DC charger option.  Several product choices out there, none inexpensive. I just need to remember that buying and upgrading a camper was never going to be sound fiscal policy.

Dan

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:07 AM

I just need to remember that buying and upgrading a camper was never going to be sound fiscal policy.

Dan

+1

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:25 AM

Considering the cost of therapy its not so bad :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:37 AM

This is from the manufacturer I asked same question.

Yes sir the DLS-30 IQ4 will charge lithium batteries.
I would recommend checking with the battery manufacturer to see what there maximum charge voltage is.
The DLS-30 IQ4 that you have charges at 14.8 in bulk, 14.2 in absorption and 13.6 in float.

Thank you.

Cody Frosco

Technical Support
T:855-363-9527

Hope this helps.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:27 PM

Very well said.   I don't think the IQ4-LiFePO is really much better than the default.   If you only use the shore power occasionally (or pretty much not at all, like me) then just leave it with the default Iota converter. 

If you expect to use shore power a lot and leave your camper plugged in, then it is probably worth upgrading to a configurable charger (not converter) so you can dial in the right profile for your battery. 

PS Veryactiveife, if you are going with the a DC-DC charger, then you probably don't need to upgrade your wires - that is one of the selling points of the DC-DC.

Rando, I have a pretty long run between batteries, probably around 20', based on Victron's recommendations I decided to upgrade the wires. KP Pawley of Sixgun Twelvevolt did a similar install for a customer and found that the factory wiring was not up to it.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users