10 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:21 PM

We are considering an early to mid-June 2021 trip to New Mexico. Guessing temperatures will be getting warm so camping at elevation. Looking for places to visit and places to camp, also places to flyfish.

We have never been to New Mexico so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. JD

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:13 PM

I like the Taos area, cycling the Enchanted Loop. Silver City area is nice too. For bird watching you can visit the Bosque.  As you travel south from Taos I recall some quaint villages, a bit of Old Mexico there. I found the northern-most mountains not so exciting, but I just haven't explored enough.

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

Really enjoyed Gila NF north of Silver City last fall, it was 7500'+ if memory serves.  Went to Bosque del Apache in January for a few days and it was spectacular as well.  Want to spend lots more time exploring the state.

There was a trailer in Silver City that had great breakfast burritos just as you come into town from the southwest.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#4 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

Yep . . . 's all good, man!  :D   NM rocks.  Despite some less-than-favorable weather patterns in recent years that have unleashed historic drought upon the Four Corners region, there's always much to do and see, and plenty of places to camp and wander, so don't let that deter you in the slightest.  Imho, Chaco Culture NHP, the Chama area, and Wild Rivers RA are very worthy hangouts if you're traveling in the north.  And if you happen to be a fan of the genre, there is much 'breaking bad' memorabilia to be savored within the state.  Enjoy mightily.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#5 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

Check out El Morro and El Mapais, might not have spelling 100%. But both are near Grants,NM on I-10 and less visited. Good hiking, back roads and lots of history. El Morro has a campground. This is a popular spot for people traveling to and from Overland Expo West.

Have fun, Travel Safe 

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:39 PM

NM is a very diverse environment.  If you were to cut it into 4 equal squares, each will offer something uniquely different.  

The NE is hilly, lush forests and the higher elevations.

The SW is very arid with the Chihuanuan Desert.

NW, thick Ponderosa Pine forests.  In the SW as well.

SE part is perhaps the less inspiring, at least for me.  But you do have the outer space aliens living in Roswell.

No trip to NM is complete without a drive along Old Highway 60 and the requisite picture of your rig with the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array radio telescopes.

And of course, I can put my hands on my images.  But check out the web site!

Edited by Advmoto18, 03 May 2020 - 10:40 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:04 PM

Two sites that resonated with Diana and me are Three Rivers Petroglyph Site and Salinas Pueblo Missions.   Spectacular, both. 

I am haunted by waters

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

Just hopping on here as I really hope to do this trip one day.... one site ...as a wood worker ...for me to see is the following link. It is a spiral staircase that was built by a man supposedly who came by asking for food and stayed and built the staircase as a way to repay.... whatever the case may be it is an astounding piece of workmanship..... asking the question ....how does it support itself? If you know construction .... it is a mind bender... even looking at the joints....

https://en.m.wikiped.../Loretto_Chapel

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:27 PM

It has been two decades+ since I’ve been but I’d travel to Boulder CO 2-3 times per year. I made sure at least one of those trips each year wound its way through Santa Fe and close by environs. Absolutely magical state. MUST RETURN SOON. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

For high elevation camping I'd check out the Gila Cliff Dwellings. If you're into hiking or back backing the Gila Wilderness is spectacular  and there are several hot springs in the area. Silver City is a great place for eats and re-supplying for your next destination. If you're into mining, the Santa Rita Mine is worth at least eyeballing the enormous open pit. Have fun!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users