39 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Did a search and could not find this...do any of you carry a length of heavy duty chain for towing or use with winch?  If you do, how do you intend to use it?

Thanks..Phil

#2 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:12 PM

I carry a chain and a strap. The chain would be used if I need to winch with the high lift jack.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

No, too much weight and space. Strap does the job well enough. I do have a couple 20' lengths at home. Used to use them to tie down the Jeep before my trailer was stolen.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:39 PM

Used to but gave it up for lack of use and the weight penalty.

I was given a real nice length of HD chain with grab hooks. It was handy around work for moving equipment. concrete parking blocks etc. I figured off highway I might use it moving downed trees or rocks or maybe a recovery or something. Not for towing tho, use a strap for that. And now would use a strap for slinging and choking tho a chain might be better sometimes.

I put the weight towards tire chains which I most always carry, and have used instead of the winch.

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

Thanks everyone....I think the spot on comment was about using the chain with a high lift jack...I had forgot that the chain has a use with it...but since I switched from my high lift to a HD bottle jack the high lift and chain will stay in the shop...yes, I have a HD tow/recovery strap and tree save strap for use with my Warn synthetic rope winch..and yes, I avoid situations that make the winch, either in front or back receivers, necessary.. B)   But just sometimes....

Appreciated your input.

Phil

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:47 AM

One thing about chain is it can be pretty tough, and last just about forever. I mentioned for dragging rocks or logs (I don't anymore) and of course grab hooks are very handy but sometimes for towing it might be also be better than a strap...

Once we came across two vehicles, one of which had broken down. The guys asked if we had a chain for towing. I didn't but had 2 straps, both new. I handed over the name brand one before changing my mind and switching it to the cheaper one. They wanted us to tow but I said no you guys hook up and tow with your good vehicle, we'll catch up later in the village (it was a 85 mile one way in, 85 mile one way out settlement). Anyway, we saw them later, not keeping tension on the strap, driving over it, put a few big knots in etc. Instantly I had "spare/junky" strap. No biggie really and all part of the fun but at the time I thought, "I wish I'd brought that a chain"

gallery_351_1393_26476.jpg

btw just dug it out, ~22 feet of 3/8 BBB grade with hooks, weight: 40lbs (!)

Edited by klahanie, 29 April 2020 - 02:49 AM.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:29 PM

One thing about chain is it can be pretty tough, and last just about forever. I mentioned for dragging rocks or logs (I don't anymore) and of course grab hooks are very handy but sometimes for towing it might be also be better than a strap...

Once we came across two vehicles, one of which had broken down. The guys asked if we had a chain for towing. I didn't but had 2 straps, both new. I handed over the name brand one before changing my mind and switching it to the cheaper one. They wanted us to tow but I said no you guys hook up and tow with your good vehicle, we'll catch up later in the village (it was a 85 mile one way in, 85 mile one way out settlement). Anyway, we saw them later, not keeping tension on the strap, driving over it, put a few big knots in etc. Instantly I had "spare/junky" strap. No biggie really and all part of the fun but at the time I thought, "I wish I'd brought that a chain"

gallery_351_1393_26476.jpg

btw just dug it out, ~22 feet of 3/8 BBB grade with hooks, weight: 40lbs (!)

Great description... I am  of vintage that remembers frequently towing a vehicle with "whatever" and how tough it was to control tension on the rope/strap/chain between the vehicles...many a bumper was ripped off and more than a few towed vehicles slammed into the lead vehicle..

My chain comes out of the Tundra today...for giggles I will weigh it; it is heavy...guess I will not need the shackles either..

Thanks...

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 29 April 2020 - 02:30 PM.

#8 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

When I was eight my older brother bought a beater car sans engine.

I was enlisted to steer it home.

His clever solution was to thread a chain thru a ten foot length of water pipe and then fasten chain tightly to tow car and towed car.

We made it ten or twelve miles to home, in the dark of course.

Frankly, I think two chains and two equal length pipe would just about make a tow bar.

All in the rigging and care of use.....

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

I hate towing people. Very few seem able to grasp the concept of keeping tension on the strap/chain. Not running over the strap etc. 

I have mixed feelings about attaching the strap. I'd prefer the towee do the hook up, not my responsibility if something breaks. Otoh, if I do it at least I won't have to worry about your bumper flying down the road. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

I do not have a winch and carry a heavy duty tow strap, 10,000 pound rating.  Carrying a chain is too much weight for something not used so far.  I prefer to hike instead of "working" to get a vehicle through rough country.  Avoiding trouble is easier than getting out of trouble.  I use "reverse" gear and rear view mirrors a lot.  Based on experience, four wheel drive is worth the weight and all my vehicles are 4wd.  I have used tire chains to get out of trouble in deep snow, they work really well  :) .

That's me too! I carry both tow and jerk straps, have a handy man, good heavy duty jack and a come-a-long and all the usual things like shovels and the like. I should note that when I was with BLM, I did carry either a heavy duty chain or  a very heavy tow rope, various sized boards and all the usual get unstuck stuff. We also carried lot's of survival gear and overnight camping gear and a week or so of food because getting stuck out of radio range was a part of the job :P !. For years, I drove a 3/4 ton dodge power wagon with a wonderful "granny gear"  that was my usual "go to first" action whether pulling someone out of a jam or  heading into rough country! All that said, these days, I 'd rather park under a tree, drink a beer and watch someone else go get stuck!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users