• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:04 PM

Great reminder...my Warn has synthetic line....I never knew that a chain under tension could recoil if broken...thanks.

The amount of potential energy is dependent upon the amount of stretch.  Cable (especially twisted strands of cable designed to allow for greater stretch) will stretch more than chain and retain far more potential energy.  Chain does stretch but not nearly as much as cable, even so, retains potential energy.  I wouldn't want to be within several lengths of the chain or cable under tension just to be on the safe side.  And I always use a weighted dampening blanket for any cable or chain under tension to help absorb energy in the event of failure.

After attending the Navy's Safety School, I came far more aware of the dangers of materials used and/or placed under tension.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#22 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Cable recoil from F18 landing

I flew Hornets in the 80s off the carrier.

I was not aware of that accident!  Interesting that 7 were injured here.  Must be the staging point for specifically tasked deck crew, hence the same number injured here as killed in the accident I alluded too.

The film I saw was of an F-4 landing.

The arresting gear motors on the modern carriers are better than those used the 60/70s.  Regardless, one can easily see the dangers when a cable snaps!

There is no more dangerous place to work than on the carrier deck.  Oil platforms are dangerous as well.  But danger lurks in all 360 degrees of you on a carrier deck.

Edited by Advmoto18, 01 May 2020 - 02:13 PM.

#23 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Back in the 70’s while working at a Jeep dealer in Raleigh, we were told to advise new winch owners to drape an old sleeping bag over the winch cable so that in the event of a cable break there would be something to somewhat slow the cable snapping back.

I did see a hardtop jeep with a crease across the hood & top said to be the result of a cable break. 

Don’t know if the sleeping bag tip would actually work or was just a good ol’ boys tale.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#24 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

The bag can work if placed close to the end link or shackle, where many breaks occur. I use a quilted furniture pad, anything that can damp initial force. But I’m no expert so others may chime in or find fault with my approach, I’d like to hear about other approaches. I did witness a “sapling” essentially get cut down by a broken wire rope...now that got my attention. Just one of the reasons I’m switching to synthetic rope in my Warn 15k. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#25 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

I use a ARB winch damper AND am at least twice the length of the exposed cable/rope/strap away from the nearest point.

Screenshot-2020-05-01-18-24-13.png

ARB image.

It's filled with something heavy;  not sure what.

Edited by Advmoto18, 01 May 2020 - 10:29 PM.

#26 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:44 AM

The last time I saw my old tow chain was a couple of years ago down in the basement. Have been using straps for many years, maybe a couple of decades. But when I did use the chain last, sometime in the late 90's, it was to wrap around the base of some thorny landscaping shrubs and yanked them out with my little old Isuzu pickup. Worked great. Just a gentle, slow tug and out they came, after which I drug them to the curb.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 02 May 2020 - 12:46 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:00 AM

The last time I saw my old tow chain was a couple of years ago down in the basement. Have been using straps for many years, maybe a couple of decades. But when I did use the chain last, sometime in the late 90's, it was to wrap around the base of some thorny landscaping shrubs and yanked them out with my little old Isuzu pickup. Worked great. Just a gentle, slow tug and out they came, after which I drug them to the curb.

Ha! This thread has legs!  Good use of a chain, on abrasive surfaces, to save straps...still with synthetic winch line I don't understand the continued use of steel cable...also has anyone observed a chain that broke under tension actually recoiling or whipping back?

Oh, the chain I removed from Tundra weighed 37 lbs, the high lift jack also removed was heavy but I have not weigh it...honestly with what my Tundra is carrying a 100 lbs or so is insignificant...but I do realize that "it all adds up"...

Edited by Wallowa, 02 May 2020 - 01:02 AM.

#28 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

...also has anyone observed a chain that broke under tension actually recoiling or whipping back?

Here you go:

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#29 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

People don't believe chains can whip back like that because it's hard to see a chain stretch.  But, as evident in the off-shore rig video, they stretch and Newton's 3rd Law is very clearly evident when they fail.  Fortunately, not deadly...this time.

#30 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

Here you go:

Damn!  I once used a Broco torch underwater to cut a link in a chain on an off shore weather buoy [not under tension] of the size shown in this video....I can attest to the weight of each link; that mass coming back on deck in this video carried enormous kinetic energy...very scary...

Thanks for video link and eye opener...

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users