• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:45 AM

I agree on the maintenance costs; however, I went with an older diesel this time for range per tank reasons, not just fuel economy.  Yes, my diesel gets almost 2x the mpg that my gas truck did.  That wasn't enough.  I can buy a 62gal diesel tank to replace my existing tank, and get waaay more distance between fills.  If that option had existed for my gasser, I would never have switched.

I get the idea going with the pre-emissions diesel over a more modern one.  I can tell you how many times we get a pre-emissions diesel truck in on trade and it's out the door within the week it came in. Many times we've got names of customers waiting for us to call them when one hits the ground.  You can bet they get what they want for it too.  

#22 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

While I have a modern diesel for our Hallmark camper I can surely agree with many of the comments here.

Recently, I decided to sell my beloved Ranger (2wd) and buy myself a more focused off road truck to build to take into the back country where my F-350 would be too large. Another consideration was that we want to be able to go into Mexico and the availability of ULSD is still a little suspect....soooo I ended up buying a 2020 Jeep Gladiator with the 3.6L gas engine. The biggest issue with this truck is the very limited range, particularly when in 4 WD. Fortunately I have been in contact with Long Range America, a company who specializes in making fuel tanks for extended range, and Will be installing one of their first tanks in September. This will almost double our range ...

Hope it’s OK to post this picture of my latest Covid project!

Attached Thumbnails

• 7D01E93F-BA79-4440-87A6-35FF4F9F60B7.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#23 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

I get the idea going with the pre-emissions diesel over a more modern one.  I can tell you how many times we get a pre-emissions diesel truck in on trade and it's out the door within the week it came in. Many times we've got names of customers waiting for us to call them when one hits the ground.  You can bet they get what they want for it too.  

Yup.  My FIL bought a new truck so he called his former SoCal mechanic (he lives in Central Oregon now) and enquired about a fair asking price for his ‘95 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins. Within 12 hours a bidding war broke out and it was eventually sold to a gentleman who drove up from the Monterey area overnight. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 13 May 2020 - 04:13 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#24 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

After watching that video I'm going out to give my 5.9 Cummins a big hug. My only problem with diesel is the price of fuel compared to gas.

I'm with you Dick.  My 200k mile 5.9 Cummins has had one fuel injector replaced, period!   It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

As old as I am, it is my last truck.  My grandson want's it when I'm gone, so it should carry on for many more years :-)

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:44 AM

Vic hit on the main reason that I went diesel in the first place. Fuel range rather than fuel economy. I thought we were OK with the OE 35 gal. tank. Until one trip where I wasn't paying close enough attention to where we were vs. where economically priced fuel was. Ouch! So I bought a 60 gal. replacement tank and now we buy fuel where we want to rather than where we have to.

If I could have gotten a lightly used gasser that had the same fuel range I might have gone that route. Within my budget of the time that was not going to happen. Used gassers in that price range got 1/2 to 2/3 the mileage of a diesel. That just wasn't a sound idea.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:14 AM

Vic hit on the main reason that I went diesel in the first place. Fuel range rather than fuel economy. I thought we were OK with the OE 35 gal. tank. Until one trip where I wasn't paying close enough attention to where we were vs. where economically priced fuel was. Ouch! So I bought a 60 gal. replacement tank and now we buy fuel where we want to rather than where we have to.

If I could have gotten a lightly used gasser that had the same fuel range I might have gone that route. Within my budget of the time that was not going to happen. Used gassers in that price range got 1/2 to 2/3 the mileage of a diesel. That just wasn't a sound idea.

That's not a bad plan at all.  I've got a factory 31 Gallon tank in my K5 with even my most dismal fuel economy of 11 mpg if I got my foot buried in it I still have a 300+ mile range.  Add two Jerry cans on my bumper rack and I've got another 100 miles of range.  The type of travel I do really does not have me wanting to add more range.  I've got no place to put a larger tank in my case anyway so I've got no other choice but carry cans.  

I did look into putting a 40 gallon tank from a Suburban in the K5 but the dimensions don't work.  The tank is longer front to back and would be fighting for space with the rear diff housing.  

#27 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:53 AM

How much do these larger fuel tanks cost? I have ‘17 Ram 2500 diesel. Is modification required to upsize the tank? The range with 60 gallons would be amazing.

#28 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:30 PM

I had an opportunity to meet the Wescott’s a few years ago and to my mind they are perhaps the most knowledgeable couple on the planet when it comes to how to build a true overland rig.

Here’s an interesting interview with them where they discuss their latest build “Turtle V”. Enjoy!

https://www.truckcam...camper-news_129

Eddie
KO4CPL

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

How much do these larger fuel tanks cost? I have ‘17 Ram 2500 diesel. Is modification required to upsize the tank? The range with 60 gallons would be amazing.

They’re not cheap..

Here’s the LRA website.

https://longrangeamerica.com/

Eddie
KO4CPL

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:20 PM

Our tank came from Aero Tanks. I really debated a second tank vs and larger main. Went back and forth several times before deciding on a bigger main. I'm now glad that I did because the new to us camper forced me to abandon my spare tire carrier and put it back under the truck. Even when I'm heavy on the throttle our fuel range is roughly twice that of my bladder.......

MISF & I looked at the Sub tank in his K5 too. With the same results. He still has the tank. Knowing him he's thinking to modify it until it does fit. Or he'll just build one that fits and has the capacity he wants. Between the three tanks in his 7500 lbs. Scout II he has something like 57 gallons capacity. At a normal 8 mpg.......

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users