Photo

Limiting Factor - Water, Battery, Freezer space, Toilet Paper?

boondocking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:14 PM

Dear WTW reader, forgive me. I am doing my best to conform to quarantine rules and as much as I want to run to Home Depot (and I could), I remain at home thinking of my next project on my camper build. But this forum is about sharing our thoughts and experiences, even when we are not camping, so....

In that thought process, I have realized that our campers and camping itself is a finite process. We are limited. Each of us has our own priorities and as we prepare through construction or packing, we have an end game in mind: How long can I stay out? As much as it is ideal to pour the last bit of milk on your last bowl of Cheerios on your last day before you leave for home with just enough gas in the tank to get there, I think there is always one item above all others that limits how long we stay out.

So I ask what is your limiting factor, what do you do to stretch the limits and how long is that time.

(If you are old enough do you remember the game show, Name that Tune?) I can stay out 7 days. I can stay out 8 days......

Boonie

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:31 PM

The two biggest limiting factors for me are time and water.  I still work so getting large blocks of time away can be tough.  Water is pretty self evident, 20 gallon tank.

All that being said I've stayed out for 9 nights/days solo and still had water in the tank but have run perilously close to dry after 3 days in warmer temps with one other person and four dogs.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

I won't say it limits my duration, but I seem to run out of milk for my breakfast cereal before anything else. (Yes, I'm of genetic stock that I can drink milk and enjoy it well into old age.) I now carry almond "milk" as a back-up as it doesn't need refrigeration until opened. I've been known to use a liquid protein shake as a milk substitute, but it is sub-optimal to say the least.

I once ran out of coffee near Yellowstone - almost a tragedy, but found a little store in a little town with fresh ground coffee and saved the trip!!!

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

I have and continue to take many people into the outdoors for extended periods of time, typically 4-6 days on a river trip. Anarchy starts to set in after you run out of either TP, coffee, and/or butter. Never run out of those or a combination of those in a group setting. 

Personally my limiting factor would probably be drinkable water. 

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:48 PM

There was a time when my answer to that question was easy---beer/vodka, cigarettes, water and enough gas for the truck to get me to the gas station!  Twelve years ago my doctor made give up my cigarettes and I am glad,for that, however I still carry some vodka and some good beer-for snakebite or some other emergency! I admit even in those good old days before my pop-up and it's frig milk was important but not enough so I would head home when I ran out. I remember once heading out for some back packing  and without thinking filling up my old army canteen with milk-a very bad idea. Today I always carry a package of that powered stuff and when my 1/2 gallon carton gets down to about 1/4 , I'll dump in the dry stuff and be the milk problem was solved.

Water is a must too; I have 20 gallons in the tank and six in the hot water heater, & that goes fast, so I carry a six gallon can and a case or two of bottled water for drinking!  When the hot water tank  hits about 1/4 left ,I use the water can to fill it up-like that hot water. Of late I have added a couple of solar panels , compression frig/freezer another battery, comptroller and can stay out allot longer.. I use allot  less propane than before -just the heater,and the stove during bad weather (use my Coleman stove outside most of the time) and for the hot water. Love that solar!

As long as I can get water. and have some gas to get me to a gas station when I need too-no real limit, just how long i want to stay out (retirement is grand). Maybe ten days-two weeks if I can' have access to water., but  I still need that  gas to get me home!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 29 April 2020 - 10:31 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:59 AM

with my old gas truck it was fuel for the truck that limited how long we could stay out and get to trailheads.  Now, it is water that limits us, which might also change as we now have a 30gal tank in the new build.

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:29 AM

I'll also say time. Two weeks stretch is  the longest we've had off for roadtrips except for the last trip when we both weren't working.

So we are set up to go 2 weeks without provisioning - if that's what you are asking. That would be water, food, clothing, propane. Gas in the tank, I don't get that part, depends on how much we drive, but we do have dual tanks and have carried j cans once or twice. Battery recharging we use the alternator - no solar - so we'd need to drive (or idle). Not been a problem because longest we've stayed camped in one place is 4-5 days, and that was only once in, what, 25 years.

Of course because we are usually on the move we can sometimes stop for a meal or buy food and stuff here or there. And we sometimes do as part of the fun. But we've haven't always over two weeks except for fuel, and we had lots of long one week trips (9-10 days) without taking anything on.

Edited by klahanie, 30 April 2020 - 01:39 AM.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:34 AM

If I am constantly moving: gas is the limiter (I can usually find water along the way).

If sitting: water.  I carry 14 gallons and with care lasts about 12 days.

BUT if I find a source of water, I carry a backpacking water filter and could stay out longer.  With a supply of dried and freeze dried foods, I could stay out about a month.  But it would have to be a exceptional trip to endure eating that swill.

The longest I have actually stayed out is 17 days without returning to re-supply.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:25 AM

We usually roam around a lot on our trips.  Occasionally we will stop in one place for 3 - 4 days.  However, we have had several trips of over two weeks and three trips over 45 days.  We always carry an extra 5 gal of water, a hand pump water filter (just in case) and enough food to last several days beyond our next planned resupply stop.  I also carry 5 gal of diesel in addition to the 25 usable gallons in the truck tank. That gives us a range of around 500 to 600 miles before refueling without having to fuss over the low fuel light coming on (last 4 - 5 gal).

We will do some resupply earlier than planned if our wandering takes us by a store or market just to be sure the subsequent part of our trip is not limited by food.  Admittedly on the longer trips we often stop and spend a night in a motel (or at worst an RV park) every 5 to 7 days to get a nice hot shower, a nice dinner, a lazy evening lounging around and a good breakfast before heading back out.  That also usually allows us to pick up any supplies that are needed.  We will do laundry too during the second motel stay (usually at about 10 to 14 days).

We have 200 W of solar and 220 Ah of AGM batteries giving up to 100 AH of usable power in our 2007 FWC Keystone, which is enough power for 3 - 4 days with minimal Solar input.  Since adding the solar I have seldom needed to connect the camper batteries to the truck for charging.  I am planning to upgrade to 300 W of power so I don't ever need to connect the camper to the truck.

I am also a backpacker and the longest I have been out backpacking without resupply is 12 days.  

Edited by ckent323, 01 May 2020 - 12:17 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:29 PM

Time.

Battery shouldn't be a concern, put in a decent size bank (not overkill, just decent) with a solar and tapped into the truck when running and there is low reason to run out of juice.  If you're around rivers or such no reason you can't filter additional water.  Etc.

I haven't looked at your build yet, not sure your water tank plan but I'm just gonna go with 6gal jugs vs a fixed tank (and I already have a brand new water tank in a box in the basement for the prior build) because after doing plenty of late fall hunting trips in various campers, we're always using jerry cans so plumbing doesn't freeze once its cold enough out.  They're also a heck of alot easier to fill vs a water fill on the side of the camper, etc.  

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boondocking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users