Photo

Aluminum siding or Reinforced Fiberglass Filon siding?

new build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

Since my intended use for my camper will be in the backcountry of Colorado, I am concerned that narrow trails combined with low hanging tree branches and scrub brush pose inevitable contact and possible damage to the siding of my camper both physical and aesthetic.  Although I removed the original siding as carefully as possible, I have my doubts that it is reusable, therefore, I may be replacing the siding. Should I replace with original .024 gauge alum siding? Increase to .062 alum siding, or switch to .042 gauge reinforced fiberglass siding?

My thoughts at this time is to go with the more durable reinforced fiberglass, Filon, attached to the aluminum frame with 3M VHB tape. I would backup the spaces with rigid foam insulation attached with spray adhesive, then wood paneling inside. This method reduces the air gaps and attachment penetrations and at the same time reduces some of the thermal transfer of aluminum to aluminum.

I don't recall who may have had experience with Filon, but I'm asking your opinion. What do you think?

Boonie

Edited by Boonie, 30 April 2020 - 09:14 PM.

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

I realize you are asking about Filon, but wanted to say the original FWC aluminum siding has been very resistant to limb scratches for me. Much better than the clear coat/paint on my Tacoma.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:53 PM

I think aluminum is more forgiving, it can dent quite a bit vs crack on hard hits.  I debate on smooth finish vs dimpled, I like smooth but dimpled certainly will hide dings more.  I'll be using 0.024" aluminum and VHB on mine.  FYI the local place also has sign stock in 0.032" and 0.063" sign stock by the sheet.  I'll cut gonna use the 0.024" coil stock though.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:59 PM

I think some of these dings would have cracked fiberglass:

kkV5Dlql.jpg

FrnjNFsl.jpg

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:42 PM

Pods8, are you using Metalman / Metal Company in Arvada?

Edited by Boonie, 30 April 2020 - 10:44 PM.

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:28 AM

Yeah I will use TMC (the metal company) for the siding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users