7 replies to this topic

#1 michael13

michael13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:13 PM

I have a 2006 GMC Canyon regular cab with a leer top. The bed is 6'2". I would like to fit a camper or tent topper on it but I'm concerned with the front overhang length. I measured 34" from the leer's front edge to the top edge of my windshield. On the  photo (link below) I've added lines to show a 51" overhang that is quoted for both the FWC Project M and Overland AT Summit - 51" looks way too long, like It would block my view of the sky and maybe even traffic lights and signs. So I'm wondering ...

1. Is the bobcat's overhang less than that? Can't find this info on their webpage.

2. Anyone have a photo of a bobcat on any regular cab truck? 

3. What would you put there to replace the Leer top? I'm just looking for more room and comfort than sleeping under the shell which is how I've been camping for a long time now! I'm considering wedge toppers and slide in pop tops, not really interested in adding a roof top tent on a rack. But having trouble finding the best fit for my rig.

http://pbase.com/image/170672753

Edited by michael13, 02 May 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

Your best bet is to call Marty and Jeff at ATC.  

The Bobcat would certainly fit the bed, but you might have the vision issues you mentioned.  The good news is ATC does custom work. Ask to see if making a shorter cab over is something they would be willing to take on.

The photo below shows a Bobcat on an extended cab, so you can make a rough estimate of the amount of overhang on a standard cab.

30EEB249-BDBB-4930-8442-9C872F918022.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

Sage makes a good suggestion, if buying new, ATC may be able to make the overhang a custom length. 

Keep in mind when measuring that the camper sits about 2" behind the front wall of the truck bed due to the rubber bumpers.  So, measure straight up from the bed (about 2" back), not from the back of your roof to determine where the overhang will start.  On my Tundra the cab slopes forward quite a bit in the back resulting in a lot of space between the back of the cab and the back of the camper overhang.  I bet I have 6 or 8 inches of space there.

evans2-w.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 02 May 2020 - 05:19 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 michael13

michael13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Sage and Jim !

I will call ATC and see what we can come up with.  :)

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:39 PM

...............and just FYI, here is a new ATC Bobcact on WTW member Lunch's extended cab Colorado/Canyon.

WTW-Gathering-July2019-006-copy.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

You can always get Rory at Bundutec to build to your exact specifications.

#7 michael13

michael13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:37 AM

Yep, the proportions look perfect on that extended cab! 

ATC got back to me today, it's a 48" overhang of the cab. That puts the front of the camper about 14 inches in front of my windshield (measured at the top). Remembering that I still had the box from our 65" TV stored in the basement, I made a mark on it at 48" and placed it on the roof at the leading edge of my shell, then got in to see how much of the view was blocked. Too much, unfortunately, at least too much to be safe. So it's a no go.

So my best bet now is to sell my truck and look for a low mileage extended cab midsize.   :unsure:

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

Yep, the proportions look perfect on that extended cab! 

ATC got back to me today, it's a 48" overhang of the cab. That puts the front of the camper about 14 inches in front of my windshield (measured at the top). Remembering that I still had the box from our 65" TV stored in the basement, I made a mark on it at 48" and placed it on the roof at the leading edge of my shell, then got in to see how much of the view was blocked. Too much, unfortunately, at least too much to be safe. So it's a no go.

So my best bet now is to sell my truck and look for a low mileage extended cab midsize.   :unsure:

Actually getting a truck with more inside room is a plus.

Lots of good truck brands to choose from that will carry a pop up.

Keep us up to date.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users