Photo

Newbie question - what to install on truck before buying a camper.

FWC ATC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Washington State

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:52 PM

What I want to know is what should I do to the truck to ready it for a slide-in camper. Some sort of ability for tie-downs? Something to keep the truck from abrupt bottoming out if on a very rough road? I've read air bags are not necessarily the way to go. So many things to consider but if I run across the right camper I want to be able to go pick it up.

I know there are a lot of variables involved but I'll say we are not the "take everything you can possibly take" sort of campers. I did some searching of the forums but sifting through the results is a bit mind boggling.

Some info to consider:

2004 Ford F150, 6.5 bed SuperCab, 5.4L, 7200lb. GVWR, LT 265/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ATP load range E tires.

Considering FWC or ATC pop-up. Will at times have 2 bikes (total 60 pounds) and 2 kayaks (total 90 pounds) and of course all of the camping "stuff".

If there is already a related thread please let me know.

Thanks,

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:11 PM

I have a 2002 Tundra AC cab with a ATC Bobcat,only additions to truck are air bags.

My tires are  LT265 75 R 16 C rated.

I think my Tundra would be comparable to your Ford.

For more info you might contact Marty/Jeff at ATC campers they are a world of help.

They make a great camper at a reasonable price and will work with you on some ideas.

Good luck .

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

For a 1/2t I think either purpose built rear springs or air springs are going to be necessary. Good shocks of a HD variety are also a good idea. I'm partial to Bilstein & Fox, but those may be overkill for how you drive. If the camper is going to have 12VDC system with a battery then adding an Anderson connector, breaker or fuse, and the cables to connect it to your truck's charging system may be wise. Depending on how much solar you plan on and what your demands on the system are, the solar may be enough by itself.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC ATC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users