12 replies to this topic

#1 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

This would be my "daily driver" - if I drove daily and having the soul of a backpacker less is better. But in any case I needed to keep it light in weight and with enough space for trash cans and Home Depot trips. I did have the roof rack tracks installed and already have some Yakima bars but have not bought the towers. Nevertheless I am more inclined to keep things in the camper rather than on the roof so I needed room for skis and an inflatable kayak - and sometimes both at the same time. I also have a Golden Doodle but so far he seems to enjoy perching on the bed rather than taking up floor space. 

[attachment=37130:IMG_0262.jpg]

In the winter my water jugs are in the ice chest to keep them from freezing. In warmer weather I have two milk crates which hold 4 gallon jugs.They will sit on the floor when traveling or the bench when camping. 

[attachment=37131:IMG_0264.jpg]

The kitchen counter and cubby storage. I may switch to a cargo net  but they seem to be much larger than I need. The low compartment can hold the kind of stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. Additional bedding is bungeed to the counter top when traveling. I sleep in the queen size comforter burrito style in the summer but in the winter I am in a down bag beneath the comforter with the dog. If snow is going to build up overnight I may put the ice chest on the bench and sleep on the floor since it is difficult to clean the roof off when it is popped up  (I had a scary incident in the FWC)  I did create a tool to clean the roof when it is up but I have yet to use it for real.

[attachment=37132:IMG_0265.jpg]

The bench. I kept it low so I can see out the window when I am sitting. Skis have been bungeed on the ledge, duffle bag sits on the floor when traveling and on the bed when stopped. I use a Crazy Creek folding chair on the bench. I built a second section to widen the bench but I did not like it so it is now in the mud room of the house. 

I did get to spend 6 nights in the camper on 3 ski trips before everything was closed down. The bed is more comfortable than the one in the house (or maybe I am just more tired :D ) The heater is even better than I expected and I have the hook-up to add a Wave heater if necessary. Sitting on the bench in the morning, drinking tea, crocheting or just looking out the window - the moments to relive until I can get back out there again.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

TD thanks for posting your camper pics.Looks good inside.

Bobcats are great.We have had ours since 09 and taken a lot of trips.

Can't wait to get out again.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

Nice, very functional.  I love to see how people make their ATCs fit their personal tastes.

It was a very short ski season, we were up there the day the governor shut it down.  The area still has over a 50" base but the county isn't allowing visitors yet :(

Edited by jimjxsn, 03 May 2020 - 07:19 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

I believe the Bobcat is the best camper for wandering, but I literally drove myself out of room in mine.   You have the right approach, nice work!

I am haunted by waters

#5 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:29 PM

I believe the Bobcat is the best camper for wandering, but I literally drove myself out of room in mine.   You have the right approach, nice work!

The conversation with you helped me decide to keep it real simple. It must have something to do with the size of the dogs. :)

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

You put a lot of thought into lay out to suit your needs and then you got it done. Congrats and good job!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Washington State

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:13 AM

Do you have the standard heater that comes from ATC? We just ordered an Ocelot shell without a heater. We may add the heater by the time they begin the build.

We've ordered shore power and a second battery. I think we are going to add the 150W solar option.

I keep wondering if Lithium batteries might be a better alternative so we might have to switch directions on this topic as ATC does not do Lithium batteries.

I really do not like the idea of a generator. The ski resorts we frequent mostly do not have shore power so heating is going to take some thought. My current thinking is to go with the Wave 3 but I also am concerned about CO so the idea of a heat exchanger heater is very desirable. Except of course the heater exchanger option requires a fan, and power! I have no experience with any of this.

In an ideal world the two batteries and solar panel would keep the fan running enough but my gut says that is probably not going to be the case.

Any input is appreciated.

#8 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

Do you have the standard heater that comes from ATC? We just ordered an Ocelot shell without a heater. We may add the heater by the time they begin the build.

We've ordered shore power and a second battery. I think we are going to add the 150W solar option.

I keep wondering if Lithium batteries might be a better alternative so we might have to switch directions on this topic as ATC does not do Lithium batteries.

I really do not like the idea of a generator. The ski resorts we frequent mostly do not have shore power so heating is going to take some thought. My current thinking is to go with the Wave 3 but I also am concerned about CO so the idea of a heat exchanger heater is very desirable. Except of course the heater exchanger option requires a fan, and power! I have no experience with any of this.

In an ideal world the two batteries and solar panel would keep the fan running enough but my gut says that is probably not going to be the case.

Any input is appreciated.

I have the standard heater that ATC installs, the 100 W panel and a single 12 V battery. I had an additional gas line installed to hook up a Wave 3 but have not done so yet. I was out for nine nights in late Feb and early Mar and did not use the heater much. But even in a more normal winter I am already dressed warmly so I don't need to crank up the heat like a house. Also - give me a couple of beers, dinner and a cup of chamomile tea after a good day of skiing and I am in my down bag by 7pm. 

I had a 4Wheel shell camper for 12 years. I used a Buddy heater for an hour or two in the evening and the morning, was attentive to ventilation and I think I have most of my brain cells left. I think. 

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:03 PM

melcooke,IMO a heater is a must option.

I like the built in kind

I have an ATC Bobcat full camper and it fits our needs

and has for 11 years and 50K.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

Nice use of space. Some creative solutions here. Thanks for sharing.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users