https://www.truckcam...Zm8QQsdpGu3hdPY

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

Hi Elken, I moved this into the truck camper forum.  Thanks for posting, there is a lot to consider here, including the issues with the insurance company.

I am haunted by waters

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:19 PM

Thx for the link. It's an important reminder that accidents can happen. You never know when it might happen to you or you might come across someone in this kind of situation.

Imagine if they or someone else wasn't so close to a main road, it's one reason I like to carry extra stuff (esp food and water but also, blankets, shelter, fuel)

Good call on the pro recovery. The insurance company might pay for it.

I know the focus was on the camper but I sometimes wonder about vehicle coverage if not on an actual public road way (say private rd, beach, field, parking area). Guess I should check, not that it would stop me...

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

Glad to hear the damage was minor. Locally we have some four wheelers who are good at recovery but if I were in an area where I didn't know the locals and its more than single line recovery I'd probably go the pro route also. 

I hadn't thought it about this for a while but the primary reason when I went AGM in my Jeep was to keep battery acid from spilling out onto everything (potentially passengers depending on the angle). This wasn't the reason I went AGM in the camper but it could apply in a rollover in the camper also. 

Gate keepers? I think you're using this term in a way I'm not familiar with.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:03 AM

I am retired from working for a B.C. west coast logging contractor and i can tell you that damage done during equipment recovery can often be greater than the initial rollover damage. So the pro recovery team with specialized equipment and experience no doubt earned their fee.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

In looking at the comments one person wondered about being overweight.

I looked at the specs of the Tundra and Bundetec it appears that they were probably 500 to 1000 pounds over their max gvwr.

Wether that was a causal factor or just a contributing factor we may never know.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:02 AM

The driver says his wife suffered a mild concussion after being hit by loose cargo. This is one of those things that I obsess over. Imagine the possible injuries during a highway speed rollover. In my younger years, I always had a tool box in the backseat, among other things strewn about. A friend of mine rolled his truck (slow off-road rollover) and took a metal ammo can toolbox to the head. He didn't get seriously hurt, but it got everyone thinking back then.

When I got my new truck, which we use for our FWC, I took the backseat out for better storage options/dog transport on trips. I built a large flat platform on the "60" side of the 60/40 rear seat, and on the "40" side I built a screwed, glued, and bracketed together box which I bolted into the seat mounts. It has a latching (and locking) lid. All projectile-class objects are kept in there (tools, air compressor, etc.) Realistically, the SafeJack I have in there probably has enough mass to blast out of the box in a really violent rollover, but at least it will be slowed down.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

I just got a cargo net for the Jeep. Even though the stuff in the truck is crammed in pretty tight I think I might get a net for that also.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Idaho

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Yikes! Crazy to think it just flopped over while crossing what sounded like a water bar in the road. Glad nobody was hurt. Good reminder too...

Does anybody know what this bag is in the attached photo (of their camper)?Screenshot_20200615-112615_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

#10 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Shower enclosure I think.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users