• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MTramble

MTramble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

What are you using/recommend to sanitize your camper water tanks and what is your sanitation procedure? 

The manufacturer recommended bleach but I'm wondering if I'll have a lingering bleach taste.

Thanks!

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:31 PM

Little bit of bleach, doesn't take much, I want to say a couple tablespoons is the recommended amount for 20 gallons of water.  I usually add about 1/4 cup and let it sit in there for a couple days while I drive around town so it sloshes around then flush it really well, about two fills and drains does it.

Remember to run some of the bleach water from the tanks up through the sink to get it all the way through the system.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:37 PM

I used a strong solution of bleach on my virgin tank that was full of water. Don't remember now, but maybe a quarter cup - probably whatever FWC recommended. Then like Cayuse let it slosh around for a few days and pumped it though sink and shower. Filled and drained a couple times.

Subsequent years I probably used less than a teaspoon for a half or 3/4 tank*. As a single camper I don't fill the tank all the way. I would add water as needed through the season, but no more bleach. I drain the tank at the end of the season before taking off and storing camper for winter. If I'm late I'll use a couple gallons RV antifreeze rather than risk frozen pipes. Come spring I flush the antifreeze a couple times, then repeat.

This worked great for many years, then one trip to Colorado I discovered my water had turned all funky - looked ok, but stank! Luckily I was near Silverton where I bought a small bottle of bleach. I put maybe a cup in my half full tank and drove on. By that night it was no longer funky, but very bleachy (if that is a word.) I got gallon jugs of water for drinking for the rest of the trip, but used the tank for hand washing only. Drained the tank when home and flushed several times. Just fine the rest of the season.

* Edited to note that I live in the country with non-chlorinated well water.

Edited by Bosque Bill, 05 May 2020 - 05:48 PM.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

A strong bleach can sanitize in an hour while a weak solution will take 8 hours. I have the water/bleach formula, but not where I am right now.

I fill gallon jugs for drinking water and tank water is for washing dishes, hands, shower.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

+2 for thoroughly flushing the supply lines to the sink etc. During a reno when I removed my water system I discovered there was some gunk in the tubing but next to nothing visible in the tank.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

I have found it is very important to run three rinses after the chlorine shock treatment.

Also, run the shock treatment water through each faucet. sink and shower fixture.  Then run the faucets at least a couple of minutes with each rinse water. When I have not done the faucet rinse procedure, I have experienced some off taste with warmer temps between trips.

Before using the water when camping, run water through both hot and cold pipes for a minute or so after the water has sat in the pipes.  I don't know if the PEX pipes absorb some chlorine or the filter containerin the pump takes time to clear all the chlorine. No off taste for the remainder of the trip.

At any rate, I do this only once per year.  Many times, the tank is refilled with chlorinated city water when camping which keeps the tank sanitized.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:23 AM

I use chlorine test strips to check the chlorine level after sanitizing. Usually takes two rinses after the chlorine application. I also drive around with it in the system for a few days. We use the system water for everything, we’ve never had any issues. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I usually do the tablespoon of bleach when finished with the camper.Living in a non freezing climate

I don't drain the system.

Before the first trip I may drain it or just add fresh.We have treated well water here.

When camping only carry about 1/2-3/4 full.Just for washing things.Gallon jugs refilled at camp for the rest.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 MTramble

MTramble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice and tips, appreciate it!

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

If you want to avoid the bleach taste, you could also use hydrogen peroxide.   You need more of it, and it provides less residual sterilization, but it is an option if you are adverse to the chlorine flavor/aroma. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users