#1 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

I’m looking for a new home for my’15 Hawk slide in. I’m leaning toward the Dodge 2500 Power Wagon. How do Dodge owners deal with the 6’4” bed and the 7’ Hawk? Someone suggested cutting the rubber bumpers. Does anyone have photos? Also, the expense of the cargo bed cam and fancy tailgate seem such a waste because the camper will stay in there full time. Thoughts? Do you need airbags? I currently have them on my Chevrolet 2500.
  • 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

Keep in mind the inside of the box is the length, the depth of the tailgate takes up some length and then the bumper usually protrudes beyond that.  I don't have a factory bed but I suspect you'll be flush or a bit short of the bumper face in the end.

One thing to do your homework on the powerwagon though is the payloads were less originally, I haven't paid attention in years so not sure on the newer ones, just check that out.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Zunami1

Zunami1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

You'll want airbags.  Power Wagons have off road spring rates (softer/lower capacity and not best suited for the heavier loads.  Everything else is perfect for Hawk paired adventure driving.  Lockers, disconnecting sway bar,  winch.  I love mine 2011 with tons of new refurbishing including new engine I got from my neighbor in trade for a diesel he needed for long towing trips.  Fuel economy is the only negative.  It does have a larger fuel tank (35 vs 31 gal) and when towing or loaded the penalty is not a great on percentage basis.  My year PW had OEM 4.56 gears which are great for towing and off roading.  If I didn't have an 18 diesel manual trans I would be doing exactly as yourself.  In fact, buy mine.  I got too many toys.

Good luck

#4 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

I removed the bumpers on my 2012 Hawk without problems and I was able to slide the camper forward. Did the same on my flatbed model too. And yes, you'll definitely need air bags on a Power Wagon.

Have you looked at the new Ford Tremor one ton trucks? Many of the features of the PW but with a much higher GVWR. I'm very happy with my 2018 Ram Chassis Cab and Grandby Flatbed but the Tremor IS tempting...

#5 RC1107

RC1107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:59 PM

I've been researching heavily over the last year or so...and will be in the market in the next couple years (retirement).

I'm a Ram fan...so will be upgrading from my 2017 Rebel.  The PW is one I'm looking at.

It's been mentioned...the payload is low due to the off road capabilities of the PW.  If you make some upgrades its a very capable hauler for a Hawk.  There are a few people that have done it...check Youtube and search this forum. 

Good luck! 

#6 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

Here is a link to an interview with Bob Wohlers who has a Power Wagon and a Hawk where he discusses some of the modifications he made to the PW.  It also includes lots of photos of his rig:

https://www.truckcam...th-bob-wohlers/

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#7 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:39 AM

Ironically, my '17 Hawk was on a bone stock '16 Power Wagon (Tradesman) and it went right back on my modified '16 Power Wagon. Thuren suspension, King 3.0/2.5, AirRide bags with Daystar cradles.

I asked the OO if he felt like he ever needed airbags (rig sat perfectly level) and he said no. Not sure he was the type to know any different however.

• Yes, the PW makes a fantastic FWC platform.
  • Yes, I'd recommend the bags and cradles and equally as important is Thuren's rear trackbar relocation bracket and panhard rod.
  • No, I wouldn't take the FWC dock bumpers off.
  • Yes, you'll want the backup cam. I bought a 3rd party one and it uses the factory connector at the tailgate and I have it mounted above the rear door. 
  • Yes, you can use the factory RAM tie-downs (just make sure you get turnbuckles like https://www.amazon.c...ref=dp_prsubs_3 and jam-nut them.)
  • Rig weight as shown: 9,450lbs 

The Tremor is an interesting option mainly because of the 7.3 however it is 10" longer in the wheelbase and has the articulation of a skateboard. I don't see it as a direct replacement for me personally. Not a huge fan of Ford interiors either. Cheap IMHO (switchgear etc.) But, it is a SFA choice.

Now my question, how do you see yourself using a PW any different from a regular 2500 HD RAM?

Feb Beach Trip-68.jpg Feb Beach Trip-20.jpg Feb Beach Trip-53.jpg

Here is a link to a YT clip I submitted to TFL Truck last week, if you want some video https://youtu.be/x2Y7o1OJ3qQ

Edited by Oilbrnr, 21 May 2020 - 05:07 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#8 RC1107

RC1107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

The last 2 posts are exactly why I joined and read this forum.  Great information!

Thank you for the info/links and video. 

I'm a couple years away from pulling the trigger on a new rig and a new 4WC.  I can't wait!

I know my 4WC will be on a new Ram 2500...just which one is the question.

#9 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

In a couple of yeers, FCA will have a 'big block' gas option to compete with the 7.3. Not that the 6.4 is underpowered, but like all small blocks you've got to rev the snot out of them sometimes. 

And as a pre-emptive strike on this thread, the Power Wagon doesn't need the Cummins. Initial cost, weight, reduced approach angle, reduced articulation. If you need the Cummins for frequent heavy towing, then just do a build on one of those. ARB lockers, Thuren or Carli suspension and a aftermarket bumper that will hold a winch, you'll be pretty close to the capability of the PW off-road.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

In a couple of yeers, FCA will have a 'big block' gas option to compete with the 7.3. Not that the 6.4 is underpowered, but like all small blocks you've got to rev the snot out of them sometimes.

The new 8speed trans should really help with not having to over rev when stuck in a steep gear ration steep (like between 2nd and 3rd in the 5speed).

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users