#21 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:52 PM

For members seeking an airbag/pump solution for their coil-sprung Ram 2500's, I chose a multi-manufacturer setup for my '16 Ram 2500; I used a kit from Timber Grove Enterprises ( https://timbergroveenterprises.com ) hooked to a 'Wireless One' pump system from Airlift ( https://www.airliftc...essone-1st-gen/ ).

I wanted a system that was underway-adjustable remotely with both bags equally pressured. I purchased a tubing cutter for about $8 to ensure leak-free connections. The system I assembled installed easily and has been trouble free for several years now. I only use 10-20 pounds of pressure to accomplish my needs of firming & stabilizing the ride with FWC installed. 

My Timber Grove bag mounts are showing very mild surface rust, but they are 'carbon' steel, coated, as the stainless mounts were not available when I purchased. It's not a problem. 

One thing I may do soon is to add some kind of disconnect for the power line to the Airlift pump; this would be in case of some type of catastrophic air leak causing the pump to run continuously I could shut it off w/o pulling the fuse inside the fusebox. I'll probably accomplish this by installing some type of inline spade connector fo some sort, nothing fancy. 

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#22 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:35 PM

You don't have the bags teed together, do you? As you probably know, doing that will increase body roll.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#23 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:44 AM

Both airbags on my truck are connected to a single air source. 

I can visualize the 'body roll' scenario you mentioned but I have never experienced anything like that and have never heard of such a problem arising. If I venture off-road I minimize the air pressure anyways for maximum articulation. My experience with the airbags is that they firm up and stabilize the truck's ride with the additional weight of the camper. 

I'm not aware of any potentially adverse situations arising from using a single air source for two bags, or '..teed together..' as mentioned.   

#24 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:44 AM

Say you are in a left-hand sweeper. The RH airbag is being compressed and the LH is being extended. The increased pressure from the RH bag goes across and adds pressure to the already unloaded LH bag. The LH suspension extends more, the truck leans more, more air goes from right to left, etc.

Admittedly, I've never had airbags, but I understand the concept, and instead of decreasing body roll it's increased by the air line between the bags. I'm betting that especially with the higher COG of the camper, the difference would be noticeable and could be the difference between losing control or not in a bad situation.

Maybe find a way to run them separately and do a before and after swerve test?

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#25 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:38 PM

Again, I can visualize the issue you describe. In action, the airbags perform much like a HD anti-sway bar. The concept you describe seems logical but I can't say I've ever experienced anything like it. 

If my current air pump system (Airlift Wireless One 1st Gen.) dies I'll probably replace it with a 2nd Gen model; I believe that it may have the ability to have dual air outputs for two separately inflated bags. 

Until then, I'm OK with the current setup, it's served me very well even though it seems that I hardly pressurize it much.  

#26 Wyo4Life

Wyo4Life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

I don't run a Power Wagon but I do run Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with the WirelessAir remote control and onboard compressor on my 2017 Ford F350 with the 6.2 gas engine.  My airbags have worked great, I have them plumbed separately so I can fill each bag individually, or both at the same rate.  I also have them plumbed manually as well in case something happens to my onboard compressor and need to air up.

They have worked wonderfully for me for the past three years.

#27 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

Here is an update. I had the Hellwig Big Wig airbags installed. This week I will be making my 5th trip back to the installer to try to correct leaking top valves with a third set of valves sent to me by Hellwig. Both sides lose all pressure in less than 24 hours. Needless to say, both the installer and I are extremely frustrated.

I had a great conversation with Bob Wohlers after reading this article he authored: https://outdoorx4.co...am-power-wagon/

He provided me with a lot of information as to how he set up his 2018 PW and how happy he is with the set up. airbags, self leveling valve, cradles, sway bar, and on board compressors. As of now, Hellwig does not make the HD sway bar for the 2020 PW. I’m looking for the Daystar cradles which also may not be available.

I am also looking to add a rear bumper. Aluminess will not make a system for the 2020 PW because they are too busy with other projects. So, I am working with Expedition One. One issue is that the camper is 6” longer than the bed. So, an after market bumper system with swing arms needs to account for this.

I will update this thread as things go on. Thank you for all the helpful input and insights.
  • 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

#28 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

My pics in post #7 (and here) shows a Exped1 bumper with custom arms done by an excellent fabricator in Phoenix. I hated the latches on the original arms anyway. There is no way I'd run a aluminum bumper going where I go, even the EXP1 is pretty light duty out on the wings. Why do you want swings? Are you running larger than 35s?

As to the bags, when looking at Bob's pic of the 'Big-Wig' it seems that your upward suspension travel is going to be compromised quite a bit. Do they have internal bumpstops as well? 

AirLift bags with no internal bumps, Daystar cradles:

IMG_4400 (1).jpeg

IMG_4401 (1).jpeg

IMG_4405 (1).jpeg

Edited by Oilbrnr, 06 July 2020 - 03:16 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#29 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

IMG_4406 (1).jpeg

IMG_4407 (1).jpeg

That's with ~30psi in the bags and the Hawk empty. 

I've had this setup for almost a year now and while it's good, it could be improved and I have some ideas and will be reaching out to Thuren shortly.

Edited by Oilbrnr, 06 July 2020 - 03:38 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#30 Cast21

Cast21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for all the great info. We have a 2018 PW and 2013 Hawk we just bought and need airbags. A suspension place told me to stay away from air bags and try the Timbren hollow rubber springs. Does anyone have any thoughts? He says air bags are high maintenance and leak 2lbs a week. I think we will try the Timbren but would love advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users