46 replies to this topic

#21 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

There are two basic wrap-around awning designs; one is self-supporting and the other requires support poles. Go with the self-supporting design. It is much simpler to open and close, and you only need poles for it if you need it open in really heavy weather.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#22 Skey

Skey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

Mainline overland has indicated that they will mount the shadow-awn to the campers frame with their provided brackets. I am driving up to NH from SC to have this installed so hopefully they aren’t full of it. I’ll find out when I get there and update here. Install is going to be in August.
Regarding ease of setup I just say look into setting up the shadow awn. It’s a snap compared to other 270deg awnings.

Edited by Skey, 26 May 2020 - 08:30 PM.

#23 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:08 AM

I like my Eezy Awn Batwing.  Although I am not tall, I use a short ladder to deal with it, and I find it is extremely easy to deploy and it gives me that awning over the door that is really nice when it is raining as well as a huge amount of shade.  In Baja, I deploy it and stake it down for long periods of time and it has survived many severe winds.  If I know in advance that a big wind is coming, I will stow it away, but that is not always possible.   Sometimes, if there is no threat of wind, I will just unzip it and deploy it without putting the legs down, but generally I do put the legs down and hang some cloth grocery (or book bags) full of sand or rocks on each leg to hold it down from any unexpected gust.  When pulling it in, I can pretty much do it myself, even if there is a wind blowing.  If the wind is blowing from the front of the truck to the back is probably the hardest situation, but I fold it in and then need to pull the loops of fabric into the correct position to then fold them.  

What I like most about my Batwing is that all the parts that get stressed are metal and will not break like I have had happen on my Fiamma's (I own two of them on different campers).  There is a big rivet at the end of each Batwing rafter that I hang an "S" hook over and then a cord with a truckers' hitch to a good long stake to tie it down.  I also have a couple of 6' x 8' nylon tarps that I can hang from the ends of the Batwing rafters to block any sun coming in from the side.  

For me, one of the bigest considerations in an awning is survivability in the wind, and that includes how to roll, fold it up in a high wind by myself and the Eezy Awn Batwing works well for me.   

Edited by camper rich, 27 May 2020 - 04:11 AM.

#24 journeygirl

journeygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:33 PM

Thank you everyone! There's a lot to consider here, and I appreciate your input. 

#25 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

Skey, Over a year ago I tried to have the Alu-cab installed at the Bow NH FWC Overland dealer. He said he couldn't do it...though I had sent him an install pdf made by another WTW member. It looks very sturdy. If indeed they have changed their minds I would go that route.  

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#26 Skey

Skey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Skey, Over a year ago I tried to have the Alu-cab installed at the Bow NH FWC Overland dealer. He said he couldn't do it...though I had sent him an install pdf made by another WTW member. It looks very sturdy. If indeed they have changed their minds I would go that route.

Thanks for the input. I will review it with them explicitly before I head up there.

#27 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

Here is how one guy did it. 

https://expeditionpo...batwing.196140/

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#28 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

Installing the Alu Cab was right at the limits of my fabrication skills and that was more or less following Hodakaguys install. 

Its much faster to deploy than my fiamma (non crank out version) and puts away very quickly. I do have to use a small step stool to put it away. I'm concerned about the bag holding up over the years. So far so good. I also use 303 on the bag. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#29 Skey

Skey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

Really appreciate the heads up on the alucab install everyone.
I have alerted Mainline Overland of my concern and it went straight to one of the owners. They are going to come up with a plan for oversized brackets and noted the PA dealership has installed one on a FWC before. That sounds about right after looking at Hodakaguy’s post. Install date is August 13 so I’ll update with any updated plans. I see it requires a heavy attachment point near the rear and want some clarification on how they plan to support the hinge knuckle. Really glad I joined this site before the install as it has already been so helpful. Thanks again.

#30 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

I opted to bolt instead of weld and mild steel instead of stainless since thats what I had laying around.

KIMG0218%5B1%5D-L.jpg

KIMG0219%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Brackets are one of those reasons I'm really going to miss Blue Collar Supply. Surplus off who knows what but they were perfect for my project. 

KIMG0220%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users