coffee press myjo hodakaguy portable travel

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

Coffee while on the road or trail!  Here's a quick video demonstrating the Presto Myjo coffee press.  We've used this press for quite a couple years now and love it, it's quick to use and there is almost zero clean up!  The unit is small, light weight and very inexpensive.   Works awesome in conjunction with the Jetboil....hot fresh coffee in 2 minutes!

MYJO1-M.jpg

Youtube link to review: https://youtu.be/AJuYa_wdybE

MyJo Available here: CLICK HERE
Peak Refuel Chicken Alfredo available here:  CLICK HERE
Coffee we use (French Roast): CLICK HERE, Variety Pack here:  CLICK HERE
Link to the Jetboil Flash Stove: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy

Edited by Hodakaguy, 23 May 2020 - 12:46 PM.

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

That's a pretty cool unit. Timely as well. I have always used a french press and got pretty good at using a small sieve and very little water to clean it. I would buy Dunking Donut coffee beans and grind them at the super market on coarse and be set. But recently, because of the Covid 19 stuff, the grocery store has turned off the store grinder, so that has created a problem, also when traveling I wasn't always able to find a store with a coffee grinder.

This Mojo press is pretty cool, I may have to explore it further. I suppose one could use the refillable K cups, to decrease storage, since a bag of coffee is smaller than a box of K-cups, but then your bag to cleaning. Currently, I switch to 

Modern By Design Pack of 100 Premium Single Serve Food Grade Disposable Hanging Ear Drip Filter Bag, Portable use for the home, outdoor, travel, camping, office, and on the go (100, Coffee Filter)

The pack of 100 is $18.99 on Amazon, and you use normal ground coffee, no cleanup, but cost comes out to be about 19 cents plus coffee for a 24 oz mug. It takes a little longer, because you have to pour the hot water slowly, but if making two 24 oz mugs, with two bags, you can alternate pours and get two mugs in the same time as one. Will see about cost comparison of one time purchase of mojo and K-cups vs continue purchase of bags and bulk coffee. My guess is the Mojo probably wins.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

If I did not like the coffee made by my AeroPress I would give it a try. I have the AeroPress down to a science. I do a large double shot of espresso and pour 1/2 in two cups. Fill with more hot water and we are done. And I can have an espresso if I want. Clean up just a little more but can do with one paper towel. 

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:02 PM

Here’s a photo of the filter bag that @larryqp mentioned.  Both it and the Myjo press seem like good options.  I like the filter bag concept best.

Attached File  D9260F1D-E18D-4EC9-B023-1845E8730C5B.jpeg   56.96K   30 downloads

I am haunted by waters

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

I order green beans from Sweet Maria's. Home roast in a hottop roaster two or three, maybe four, varieties of coffee before a longer trip. I put the roast beans in steel insulated beer growlers, which seal nicely and keep the beans from experiencing strong fluctuations of temperature. When it is time to brew, I jetboil some home sourced or bottled water while hand grinding beans. The first boil goes into the chemex flask through the paper filter to remove the paper taste. By then I can start to put fresh ground beans in the top of the chemex flask and start doing the hot water boils. When the chemex is full, we then transfer everything into an insulated thermos coffee pot. We use insulated stainless coffee mugs for sipping while watching wildlife or sunrises, or even to go on a walk and find a convenient rock to sit on.

It all sounds fiddly, which it is. But why else are we out in the boonies camping if not to slow down and enjoy the process as much or more than the destination?

Edited by AWG_Pics, 23 May 2020 - 03:13 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,940 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

AWG, that sounds like my kind of coffee!

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:48 PM

I like the capsule idea of coffee but didn't like all the wasted capsules.

The bio degradable ones sound like a great idea.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:53 PM

I like the capsule idea of coffee but didn't like all the wasted capsules.

The bio degradable ones sound like a great idea.

Frank

You can also use the re-usable K-cups and fill them with whatever coffee you prefer.   We love the San Francisco brand K-cups and use it both at home and when traveling.  

Hodakaguy

#9 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:54 PM

Here’s a photo of the filter bag that @larryqp mentioned.  Both it and the Myjo press seem like good options.  I like the filter bag concept best.

attachicon.gifD9260F1D-E18D-4EC9-B023-1845E8730C5B.jpeg

That's pretty slick as well, thanks for sharing!

Hodakaguy

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

I also home roast using a Gene Cafe roaster and buy the majority of my beans from Sweetmarias. Depending on my mood I use a ROK espresso press or just pour over my 40 yr old Melitta cone for a regular cup of Jo'. I use a Hario Skerton for grinding the beans. For backpacking Starbucks instant. We also pack Starbucks instant when we travel - it's better than most coffee you get with your room.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee, press, myjo, hodakaguy, portable, travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users