11 replies to this topic

#1 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

Memorial Day weekend always reminds me of the following piece by the late Poet/Artist Robert Sexton.

Not long ago I walked through the National Cemetery at the Persidio in San Francisco. It was late afternoon, and the mauve and rosey colors of the gathering dusk tinted the headstones on the graves of thousands of young people who rest within that solemn and beautiful place.
All around me were sensations of life: birds chattering in nearby trees; a passenger plane, scratching the sky high overhead; the vivid colors of autumn; and the soft, life-bearing wind that rustled my collar and rolled across the gentle sloping land.
Yet, at my feet, there was only the silence of lives that had ended much too soon.
I paused before one shadowed grave, and, looking down into the rich green grass that was his blanket, I thanked the young man that lay within. His sacrifice had assured my freedom; and, though sometimes I seem to take that for granted, on this day, in this place, I could not. For just behind this young man, there slept another. And behind him, another. And row after row of individual lives spread before me, each unique and born with hope; each now closed and sealed in silence by the tongues and hands of tyranny.
It is the courage and generosity of those who died for freedom that has given me my own. Their legacy is my gift, and I hold it with both gratitude and a sense of responsibility.
Standing among them in that hallowed place, I felt their purpose and resolve. For tyranny still walks upon this earth, and, whether it wears the armor of dictatorial authority or clothes itself in the mantle of self-righteous religious zeal, the quest is the same: the denial of individual liberty.
If I am to honor their bequest and to pass it’s richness to those who follow me, then my life must be both a celebration of individual freedom and a vigilant defense against its enemies. Human history has shown that one cannot live without the other: defense without conscience becomes offense; liberty without caution is a timid prey.
Through the fading light of that afternoon, I lingered as with a company of friends and felt the measure of the faith they had held for every man and me.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for posting that.

We as a people get lost in the things in life other then remembering

the people who gave the ultimate,their lives for the rest of us.

It seems like these special days that have been set aside to remember and honor

all the fallen are over showed with store/car and all types of sales.

I realize there is a lot to our modern lives,that's OK as long as we remember

the people who gave theirs so we can have ours.

Thanks to all the women and men who serve today so that we can have our freedom.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

May we never forget and always honor those who died while serving in our military forces. Thanks for the excellent reminder, Bob.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:34 PM

May we never forget and always honor those who died while serving in our military forces. Thanks for the excellent reminder, Bob.

2X Thanks Bob for the reminder!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for posting that important message for all to reflect on this Memorial Day! 

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

Bob, I too would like to thank you for posting this touching piece and reminding us all of the significance that Memorial Day holds.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

I haven't forgotten James Plowman.He gave his all for our freedoms.

I have worn this MIA bracelet for 51 Memorial Days. RIP.

Frank

IMG_4813.jpeg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:00 AM

Jim Sizemore.jpg

I don't wear this very often any more, but Jimmy was my room-mate and best friend at NKP.  He was shot down six weeks before we were scheduled to come home.  RIP Jimmy..

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:24 AM

The grave of one of my closest Marine friends, Mike Gramlick.  Last September, after fifty years, I had the opportunity to pay my respects. His helicopter was shot down July 27, 1969.  Two days later, Fred Kerns and Dan Lewis drowned when their helicopter had an engine failure and crashed in Danang Harbor.  A total of twelve Marines and Navy Corpsmen, plus two NVA prisoners died in these actions.  

I think about them often.  As long as we remember, as long as we say their names, they live on through us.

27CE9394-A377-4267-B0E9-81849193EC5F.jpeg
7B8A1922-E219-4CF9-8872-681E3F697322.jpeg

Mike on the right, Tom Novak on the left.  Tom was killed at Chu Lai by a 122mm rocket.  Both were my classmates as we learned our aircraft specialties.

D8F977B3-2C81-4D0F-AE6F-7BA8B44A1608.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#10 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

Thank you!
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users