• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtbxr650

mtbxr650

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:38 AM

Advice requested please. I am going to mount some rear wall steps to the back of my camper so that I can access the rear roof rack. Looking for advice on how to locate vertical frame, should I thru bolt them with a backing plate, tap it or is it enough to just use machine screws? Also should I be sealing the fastners? Thanks!

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

I have the rear steps on my 2015 Hawk. Have NEVER even tried to use them. Total waste as far as I'm concerned. I hang things on them once in awhile and use as a hand hold when cleaning. No idea how the factory decided where to install each step. Seems just around whatever was in the way :(

#3 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

The steps are very difficult to use unless you’re a young nimble rock climber. On our flatbed the steps are on the side and very high up to the first one, we would need a ladder just to get on the lower step. May as well carry a ladder, which would be more versatile all around. FWC bolts them on and inside the camper they use large fender washers as backing.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

I installed them myself, through bolted them with fender washers and acorn nuts inside. Install was 11 or 12 years ago, there is a post about it if you can find it. I called Four Wheel to get the measurements of where to drill.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 geologyjohn

geologyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:06 PM

Just back from a week in northern Nevada (Santa Rosa Range and Eugene Mtns). FYI, the step on the lower right/passenger side makes a great beer bottle opener. But you-all knew that.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

Absolutely bed/seal all holes you drill.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users