• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:57 PM

Hello everyone,  Im brand new here.  Planning to order a Grandby out of SOCAL.  I was looking or a general consensus on a few items.  Also realize i am pretty handy, more so than the average Joe I think.  I am looking for the "easy" items to do on my own vs paying FWC.

1.  Electrical.  Im wanting to go with lithium and therefore planning to go with a minimum of electronics from FWC.  Buy the single AGM battery and no solar controller.  I am even considering buying a 3000 goal zero.  It comes with solar controller, LI battery, and charger from my truck.  

2.  Yakima racks.  Thinking of buying just the mounted rails.  In that manner I can use these rails to mount solar and I get the factory warranty on the roof penetrations.  Good idea?

3.  Solar.  I want solar panels pretty much from the get go.  I was thinking price wise and Li battery wise I could do better myself than FWC., yes?  I probs want at least 200w and maybe 300-400w.  The dealer says that the roof is prewired to the solar controller spot and then down to the batteries too.  

thanks,  steve

Edited by steve whiteside, 27 May 2020 - 11:00 PM.

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:20 PM

Steve welcome to the cult.

Sounds like you are settled on a shell model.

There is a lot of info here to help you with a DIY job.

A couple of members to look to are   ski3pin, billharr and

wandering sagebrush just to mention a few.

They have a lot of experience in working with a shell model.

Myself I went with the full camper,I have the talent just not the want to

do all the major work.

I have a ATC Bobcat,have you looked into All Terrian campers?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:35 PM

Frank, actually no Im not going with the shell model, Im going with the front dinette, heater, water heater, flat sided dark grey exterior, silver inside.   BTW I have an F350 diesel, long bed, crew cab 4x4 2012 with ~50,000miles- if that makes any difference.  

Let me check out the ATC line. Does it have obvious advantages over the FWC?

steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:08 AM

ATC advantage is that they do custom work.

You can definitely do better for less on the solar than the factory.  I have 330W on the roof in a single panel.  440w is now available in the same physical size.  

Get good electronics.  Folks here like the Victron line.  I have bought from PKYS.com a few times.  Reliable folks.  Get both their MPPT controller and the BMV 712 battery monitor.

I have two BattleBorn 100AH LiFePo4 batteries.

With a good solar/lithium setup, you may not need to change your wiring for charging from the truck, as it may be completely unnecessary.  Monitor your usage before springing for a good Victron or other battery separator & DC-DC charger.

Just getting the rails is a good plan.  Solar panels mount nicely to the rails.  And you get that factory warranty on the roof.  If you are ok skipping the warranty, and you just want the rails for the solar panel, you can save money by using rails from Lee Valley.  

#5 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:22 AM

oooh, that was just the sort of clear advice I was looking for.  Thanks Vic.  

After reading through this thread Ive decided to delete the aluminum folding steps on the back too.  steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:35 AM

Check this thread out, it will provide some good reading. Camper builds. 

#7 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:03 AM

Just to second the ATC thing, nothing at all against FWC, they make great campers. But if you are going shell, and you want custom, i think they are a great option. Welcome to the cult indeed!

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#8 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:44 AM

One advantage right off the bat with ATC is the roof capacity is 1000pounds compared to 100 pounds of the FWC as stated by the dealer.  It would be nice to be able to get up there and walk around.  

Im pretty much sold on the FWC.  I wouldn't say I am doing a "build", Im just going to customize mine on a few items.  Thanks for the advice and pointers though.  

steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:34 AM

Not sure that is correct. The 100 is what you could carry. It would be pretty hard to raise the roof. The 1000 would probably be snow load capability. Others can weigh in. There is little chance there is that much difference between ATC and FWC as the concept came from family members that left and started ATC.

One advantage right off the bat with ATC is the roof capacity is 1000pounds compared to 100 pounds of the FWC as stated by the dealer. It would be nice to be able to get up there and walk around.

Im pretty much sold on the FWC. I wouldn't say I am doing a "build", Im just going to customize mine on a few items. Thanks for the advice and pointers though.

steve

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

Welcome. You got great feedback from some very knowledgeable people in this group. The Goal Zero is an interesting concept. Several new Hardside campers are using Goal Zero (Kimbo, Adventurer's new Scout series). Very much minimalist approach and very simple. You should have amazing luck with a 3000. I bought the 400 Lithium for back-up at home and take it with us. I also bought their solar panel, so if I need it I can use the solar to charge it, plug it in while driving, or charge on my Honda 2200. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 28 May 2020 - 11:43 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users