Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading from 3 way Norcold...what to do with old gas line..and Truckfridge or Dometic or ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

The time has come for me to remove my Norcold 3 way from 2008 Hawk which has basically served as storage for warm beer.  I disconnected everything, including gas, as well as all of the electrical connections.

The cutout box in my hawk is roughly 20.75 inches wide x 30 inches high x 23 inches long (deep).

1.  Now I have an existing gas line going into that box.  My plan was to remove the cabinetry and try and cap it somewhere.  The existing gas line (pipe) has a female thread that remains extended into the box.  I have a feeling if I dig a little deeper into the cabinetry it will branch off from a "T" connection of some sorts in the cabinetry.   I'm assuming I can get some sort of cap at a propane supply store?  Anyone done this before?

2. I'm looking at replacements and want to get a DC compressor fridge.  Looking at the dimensions both the TruckFridge 130 and Dometic CRX 110 would be good fits dimensionally.  The truckfridge has some advantanges in that it is a lower cost option (by about $500), has actually more space (4.2 cu ft vs 3.8),  and would probably be a slight better fit.  Any opinions out there on the TF 130?

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:16 AM

Can't comment on your specific system, but your guess of a 'T' or a cross is what I would expect to find. Possibly near the heater if you have one. Can buy a fitting that joins both tubes without the branch of the 'T' or use a 'T' to replace the cross and eliminat the line going to the current fridge. The fittings used in low pressure gas systems are the SAE 45° Flare family and your local hardware store should have what you need in stock. After all work with gas plumbing check for leaks with a soapy water solution.

Cast a jaundiced eye on the hole left by the removal of the old fridge. I've now done this job twice and both times there was an opportunity to add insulation around the fridge, which I did with rigid insulation from the local home big box store.

Edited by ntsqd, 29 May 2020 - 12:16 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:36 AM

Since I replaced my 3 way with a new (a few years ago that is) Dometic CR 110 compression frig/freezer, that old "T" gas valve connection was just perfect for me to hook up a 6 foot  hose to my new Wave 6 Heater :rolleyes:!  I got the idea here from Mark BC and some others and with some quick instructions from my local RV shop, I now have nice heater I can hang on the cabinet wall or put it on the floor! The frig fit sort of tight, but ya got to be clever when you own one of these pop-ups!  I have a 05 Granby.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 29 May 2020 - 12:39 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:37 AM

R&R, I have the TF130 in my Puma build, and had the same in my Hawk.  Good fridges.

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:38 AM

ntsqd is correct.  There is a cross under the gas stove.  If I remember correctly, I capped the gas line there when I replaced our Norcold and went Dometic compressor on our '08 Hawk.  Also agree to add insulation when you swap refrigerators.

Edited by Lighthawk, 29 May 2020 - 06:40 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

Added a quick connect for outside stove or whatever

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

I did this modification in my '06 Granby using the Truckfridge 130. I added 1" hard foam insulation to the top, bottom and back of the fridge. I don't think there was room to add any to the sides. If your camper has the IOTA converter there is no need the get the dual voltage fridge. 12v is all you need.

The gas line T is in the stove.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 Fishyhead

Fishyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:39 PM

My camper is a lot older than yours so this may or may not apply.

My Dometic fridge was plumbed with a copper propane tube and 3/8 flared fitting.  My tank is located forward in the camper.  From the tank, a line goes to a T-fitting which services the stove and then to a line that is attached to another T-fitting that services the fridge and forced air heater.

When I removed the fridge, I bought a male flared fitting sealing plug to cap the line.

https://propanewareh...e-sealing-plug/

I also picked up a female flared sealing cap to seal off one of the T-fitting's branches.

https://propanewareh...ings/brass-cap/

I replaced my propane/DC fridge with an Engel MT27F top loading fridge.

Edited by Fishyhead, 29 May 2020 - 10:53 PM.

1997 Toyota T100 4x4 manual - 1993 FWC Ranger 8'

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:21 AM

I did get with a dual voltage fridge because we usually pull it down cold while plugged in here at the house before we leave on a trip.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:00 AM

I did get with a dual voltage fridge because we usually pull it down cold while plugged in here at the house before we leave on a trip.

I agree. Especially with hot weather, it is beneficial to bring the fridge and new contents down to temp with 120AC before starting out on a trip. We also use 120AC when visiting friends on their Montana spread. The truck gets parked in an extra garage and is plugged in.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users