10 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

If you are interested in some more American West photos or some Western history, check out my other site Western Mining History.

http://www.westernmininghistory.com/

#2 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

Several years ago, my daughter was working for the National Forest Service in the West and was assigned the task of documenting mines and recording GPS coordiants. Original mine claim records were the source documents. I think she wrote a paper on this work that was circulated through the Forest Service managment. She found mining camps complete with canned food, clothing, tools (even womens high heeled shoes), as if miners had been there yesterday. From the remoteness, difficult access, and undisturbed appearance, some of these camps have not been visited for a hundred years. The Forset Service knows where a lot of this stuff is located. A serious historian might find them helpful.

#3 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:30 AM

I'm in Gillette, WY on a job and got interested in Deadwood. Here's a book about how George Custer led an expedition to the Black Hills that discovered gold near Deadwood. The book is in the library here. Here's a terrific website about the book...
http://www.custerstrail.com/
Regards, Dusty

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

Several years ago, my daughter was working for the National Forest Service in the West and was assigned the task of documenting mines and recording GPS coordiants. Original mine claim records were the source documents. I think she wrote a paper on this work that was circulated through the Forest Service managment. She found mining camps complete with canned food, clothing, tools (even womens high heeled shoes), as if miners had been there yesterday. From the remoteness, difficult access, and undisturbed appearance, some of these camps have not been visited for a hundred years. The Forset Service knows where a lot of this stuff is located. A serious historian might find them helpful.

What states was she working in?

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

I'm in Gillette, WY on a job and got interested in Deadwood. Here's a book about how George Custer led an expedition to the Black Hills that discovered gold near Deadwood. The book is in the library here. Here's a terrific website about the book...
http://www.custerstrail.com/
Regards, Dusty

Thanks for the link Dusty. I would like to read that book sometime.

#6 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:28 AM

I believe mostly in the Pike National Forest, Colorado.

#7 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

are you familiar with the mines up around malakoff diggings? such as the Sixteen-to-One?
http://www.origsix.com/

they "broke into the candy store" a few years back and really hit it big...again. the things been running for...a million years.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

are you familiar with the mines up around malakoff diggings? such as the Sixteen-to-One?
http://www.origsix.com/

they "broke into the candy store" a few years back and really hit it big...again. the things been running for...a million years.

I wasn't familiar with that mine. Very interesting! I'll have to try to make a trip down there sometime.

#9 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

there are dozens of operating mines in that area.
the earth is perforated.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

My great grandfather and I used to go there when I was a kid to get gravel. Back then you just drove into the diggings and loaded up a truck full. We also went there to shoot off model rockets that I used to build.

I lived in North San Juan until I was 9. Great place to be as a kid. Still go back from time to time and say hi to the few people that I still know in the area.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users