• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#31 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAdirondack park New York state

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:10 AM

While doing research, I found where someone shared schematics from Hallmark truck campers. They would be considered a premier wood framed camper in my opinion. I copied their framing very closely. I'm not sure how they fasten their joints but our Lance is stapled with no glue. Also both the Lance and Hallmark use 3/4" pine. So to up the durability factor I've used 5/4 select grade pine (no knots) and glued all joints along with the pocket hole screws. I was able to find testing info regarding strength of the glued joint and the screwed joint and based on that I felt confident enough to give this a try. I would also think that gluing and stapling plywood to both inside and outside will provide extra shear strength.

Although we love our north south bed in the Lance, we are going to have an east west full size so as to shorten the cabover.

#32 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:16 AM

Sounds like you have thought this through!  I have no experience with wood framed campers, so I didn't know how this was typically done.   Better than the competition is likely a safe bet. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#33 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:50 AM

Yeah I've done a fair bit of reading and ear bending with craftsmen. I like working with wood and I trust that it'll work out in the end. Either way I'll be sharing the results here so the next person dreaming about building something he can't afford to buy new can see whether this way works.

#34 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:54 AM

...that's a big part of why I wanted to share my project here. This seems to be a place where folks try stuff and share knowledge with each other. A lot of other forums are big on naysaying but I haven't seen that on WTW. I'm thankful to all that shared before.

#35 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

Joe, your thread has me thinking about doing something similar in the form of a pod that I could put on my lightweight Aluma utility trailer.  It may be just a pipe dream, but I miss having something small for my solo trips.

I am haunted by waters

#36 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

Wandering Sagebrush, that's a great idea! What's holding you back?
If you go for it in the future, look up tristatesurplusllc.com for cheap prices on windows and baggage doors. They sell "blemished" items from the RV industry.

#37 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

I've got a tarp garage set up outside where the rest of construction will be happening. A good buddy, who was willing to work in 100 degree heat, helped me carry pieces out of the basement and put them together in a permanent way. We glued, screwed, and stapled the whole deal together.

Attached Thumbnails

• MVIMG_20200719_145955.jpg
  • MVIMG_20200719_145939.jpg

#38 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

I am so excited to have gotten to this point. A walk out basement shop that could've housed the whole project would be nice but a little sweat never hurt anyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• MVIMG_20200719_150010.jpg
  • MVIMG_20200719_150021.jpg

#39 Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

Here's the new work space.

Attached Thumbnails

• MVIMG_20200719_145915.jpg

#40 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

Wandering Sagebrush, that's a great idea! What's holding you back?
If you go for it in the future, look up tristatesurplusllc.com for cheap prices on windows and baggage doors. They sell "blemished" items from the RV industry.

Biggest issue is too many irons in the fire, including looking for a new home in a drier part of the state.  When you’re in your 70s, some jobs are best done with a wallet.   

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users