• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcabernel

dcabernel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:29 PM

Last fall I drained and blew out the water lines and Hot water tank with air pressure - or so I thought.

Had to prime the pump to get it going today. Could hear the hot water tank filling up but at some point water started gushing out of the cupboards. I pulled the cabinets apart as best I could but cannot see any of the hoses leaking. The water seems to be coming directly from under the hot water tank. Oh no!!

I can see the inlet to the tank and it doesn't appear to be leaking. Is it possible the tank itself is cracked from freezing? I don't see any way forward from this point but to remove the tank. How hard is it to do this? Is it just disconnect from the inside, remove the propane connection, from the outside remove the screws around the frame and pull out?

The model is a Hawk circa 2014.

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by dcabernel, 14 June 2020 - 11:30 PM.

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:46 PM

It is indeed possible the tank is cracked.  Your post reminded me I had a photo of a cracked one. The photo orientation is confusing but that's the only one I have...

AtwoodWaterHeaterTankSplit.JPG

There are a number of videos on YouTube on replacing a water heater.  The one below seems pretty comprehensive and specifically addresses replacing the inner tank.  It's an Atwood water heater and would likely be very similar to yours.  However you might want to look for other videos for your specific model.   FWC installed Suburban water heaters for a few years but I believe they had switched back to Atwoods well before the 2014 model year.

If you or a buddy happen to have an inspection camera you may want to remove the drain plug or perhaps the pressure-relief valve and take a look. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 cjudson

cjudson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

I replaced my 2011 Hawk WH a few years ago and it turned out to be easier than I expected. At least one of the connections was better accessed once I'd removed the face screws and I could move the unit slightly. Then the whole thing slid out cleanly. Going in with the new one I used sealing putty tape (specific for that use from an RV dealer) on the perimeter under the flange and there were no leaks. Checking for leaks in the flange was tricky but but leak testing on the plumbing was straightforward. With everything dry I hit the exterior with garden hose water and then used pieces of newspaper slid into various impossible to see places and removed it looking for water on it. No leaks. My nightmare scenario is a slow and undetected leak causing mold. The service manager at FWC told me it was water leaks that sometimes "takes the camper out" so checking diligently is important, I think. Good luck with the project!

#4 dcabernel

dcabernel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:26 AM

Thanks, very useful info.

I do have an endoscope but didn't see any fractures. It's hard to manoeuvre the camera to everywhere though.

Charging up the scope, will try again tommorow.

Video is excellent. Still miffed I didn't drain properly. I now recall that it froze and I put the furnace on in the camper to get it melt. I was getting water out of the hot water tank but maybe the damage was already done. :mad:

#5 dcabernel

dcabernel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:41 AM

Yep it's cracked up high. The clue was the Styrofoam insulation at top left was bulged and cracked. Felt around and cut my finger on the exposed edge.

Just ordered a new tank (Atwood). Good times! Will post picture when I remove it to add to the archives.

Thanks for help again. 

#6 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

Yep it's cracked up high. The clue was the Styrofoam insulation at top left was bulged and cracked. Felt around and cut my finger on the exposed edge.

Just ordered a new tank (Atwood). Good times! Will post picture when I remove it to add to the archives.

Thanks for help again.

#7 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:48 AM

@dcabernet
Just wondering if you replaced your hot water tank and if you have pictures and advice. The tank in mine was fractured in the first year after the previous owner said he winterized it.

#8 dcabernel

dcabernel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:06 AM

Yes, I did change it this last weekend. It wasn't too bad to change especially following the video above. The only major difference is in the video the tank was optionally electrically heated so that whole part didn't apply.

Taking the fittings off the old tank was difficult as they were really tight. I think the size is 21mm and I don't have that wrench. I ended up filing one down so I could use a 13/16 in. I also didn't have a Plex tool to put back the pipes to the fittings, so borrowed one from a friend. I also couldn't get the press fit rings on the tank off with tin snips; I ended up using a dremel tool to cut them off. The new ones took a lot of persuasion to get on as well.

Attached is a picture of the tank. I might print this and put it up in my garage to remind me of my stupidity and hopefully it won't happen again. There was a bit of mould under the tank and quite a bit of cutlery from before I had a cover to put over that drawer. Other than that there were no surprises. After hooking up there were no leaks and the heater fired up immediately.  :)

I recently bought a Mig welder and haven't used it much. As a practice exercise, I may try to weld the tank back together. We'll see if it's possible....

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200808_134254_Small.jpg

Edited by dcabernel, 14 August 2020 - 03:07 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hot water, tank, water leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users