#1 Fernweh

Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

Looking for some advice about tailgate camera use once you have your tailgate off to load and use your camper. My old truck didn't have camera, my new tundra does.  I see some folks relocate while other leave unplugged. What's your recommendation? Thanks

2020 Tacoma and FWC Fleet

A craving for travel... to places you have never been.

German Quote

#2 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:26 PM

I just went to a junk yard and paid $10.00 for a OEM camera off a totaled truck and made an aluminum mount to attach to my Fleet.  Plug and play and very easy to do.

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

Same here - bought a camera on ebay off a wrecked Highlander (same part number as my Tacoma) and mounted that to my flatbed with a DIY mount.   With the camper on the back the camera is particularly useful.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Fernweh

Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:25 AM

These are good ideas... Does anyone just leave it discounted? Been driving for years and just recently have had a back up camera.

German Quote

#5 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

Camera Source makes a plug & play unit for the Tundra. Very quick and easy to install, and it comes with a long lead wire. I have mine connected to the right underside of the camper. I ran the wiring up and through the right brake light housing. If I ever take the camper off (which I rarely do) I  can unscrew the camera from the camper, disconnect it underneath (reconnect the oem tailgate camera) and stow it in the brake light housing. It works very well, gives good vision even from right of center.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

Having a camera beats the tar out of backing the camper into a post, rock, tree. I bought a second from Ford.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

X2 ... I highly recommend calling Camera Source, excellent customer service, it helped ensure I got what I needed. I was able to reclaim the colored ... green, yellow, red ... camera backup markers, that were original to the stock camera. Below are 2 pics that show my backup camera mounted over the top center of the rear bumper via a handy standard porthole. (2018 F150) This was basically a plug & play into the harness plug that remained after the tailgate removal. Tap to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails

• 85E260D5-1E56-40DD-A39D-61C31F542EF7.jpeg
  • D4893B46-BFF4-4F53-A8BC-80DF506F7F85.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 21 June 2020 - 02:30 PM.

#8 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

I highly recommend Camera Source also. The camera is so good I leave it on even when I put the tailgate back on! Plus it’s inches away from my hitch for easy alignment during trailer hookups!

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#9 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

Removed camera from tailgate, fashioned bracket, screwed into wood on bottom of camper. It’s a little low but works.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#10 Fernweh

Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:28 PM

Hey... These are all great ideas. I ordered a camera yesterday and have a plan to install along the lower edge of the rear bumper.  Should work great. Thanks for the advice and ideas.

German Quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users