58 replies to this topic

#21 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Vic
Ya it is a pita. My two panels, one on roof 160 and one portable flex 100, are in parallel. Is it as simple as changing the plug on one to the opposite? (Plus minus) ... that is ... using a reverse male to female adapter. Or do I need to do some fancy rewriting?
I only use the flex panel when it is cloudier... so series would make more sense. In series the bolts are then additive say 9v on one and 8 v on the other if end up with 17v?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#22 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

Have you tested your panels lately to ensure they are producing as they should? I am in the process now. I still need to dismantle my roof. Yesterday, I confirmed my portable, 100W flex panel, is producing ~44W during optimum conditions. Have not needed it, in the field, but not comforting info. I’ve not encountered prolonged solar depriving weather, so far, but I do want the option to enhance my capability.
If you switch over to series, it is my understanding, you will need a second, separate controller if using a secondary, exterior solar outlet. (Rear back wall of Camper) If your flex is indeed wired with your roof panel in series entering the roof outlet, in conjunction, you are OK. I chose parallel for the plug & play option with my rear outlet. Series is intriguing. Would higher outside temp, hot, be any kind of consideration with higher V?

Edited by Stokeme, 02 July 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:03 AM

You can do series... but that may have been a red herring I tossed out and not as critical as you might think given your low power production. Sorry.

The beauty of MPPT controllers is that they will massage the incoming power to feed the batteries what they most need... like Kobe beef!

So even if your one roof panel is only producing 80W (50% power) that will be converted to what the batteries need.  If the battery is dead (11.5V) the MPPT will try and feed it at least 16.5V (5v more than it is at) 80w/16.5 = 4.8A.  

Stokeme, I think your math is a bit wonky.  Watts is Amps * Voltage.  You mention 100W @24V = 100/24 = 4.167A.  200W at 12V = 16.67A. 

Rob has 260W total available to him.  Setting aside for a moment the difficulties of mismatched panels, lets say he hooks them up in parallel.  Then he would be feeding 260W / 12.7V= 20.47A into the controller.  (why 12.7?  12.2 is a discharged AGM battery... and the MPPT will always try to give the battery .5v more so that current can flow into the battery)

If he hooks them up in series, he will have 260W / 25.4V = 10.23A into the controller.  (25.4V = 2x12.7v)  The ACTUAL voltages and currents produced by hooking up in series and parallel are dependent on the specs of the panels, which we don't know right now.

In both cases, the MPPT will work to create what the batteries need.  The series hookup gives the MPPT more room to play with, so is the preferred way to hook up panels to an MPPT controller.

There is a way to use the existing wiring in the camper to create a series connection vs parallel on your portable.  I posted it some time ago, but my brain is futzed right now so I can't recall the details.  It involved using a dongle.... 

#24 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:34 AM

Vic, I am confused about “more room to play with” concerning the mppt controller. I do not understand the inference. I do not understand why ... (series) less A with higher V, is better than ... (parallel) higher A with less V. To not hijack Rob’s thread any further, I will post some panel review findings & inquire more about series vs parallel. The plug & play back 2nd Solar outlet, allowed with parallel, is a big plus for me because Solar is my only form of energy replenishment. Thanks for the info on this thread.

Edited by Stokeme, 02 July 2020 - 02:59 PM.

#25 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

Your explanation helped. I think my system is doing what it can but 4 days rain and canoes on has just squeezed the rocks dry. My battery did come back a bit on the drive with the camper main knob off. The alternator though good 140 amp is controlled by the truck computer and does not seem to put the juice through the separator .... maybe it is throttled.
The series option is out. I like to keep it as simple as possible. Weather and canoes on top did me in. Sun this afternoon should help.
Vic having s second battery would solve the lack of energy over time. We use mostly the isotherm small fridge and led lights, charge iPhone and iPad. I did revive that LiFePo4 DIY battery and will consider finding a place for it. Just 30 lbs more. Put the two in parallel.
Sounds nuts I know (the truck hood is hot ) but having the flex mounted on the hood would be a great solution to canoe on roof. Maybe a curved mount on canoes hull!!
Light canoes stay on roof when popping up.
Attached File  IMG_0785.jpg   199.89K   14 downloads

Henry David Thoreau

#26 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

Attached File  IMG_0829.JPG   97.38K   15 downloads
Just thought I’d post controller shot Sun not out yet but trying. I see there is less than 4v difference. The camper main knob is off.

Henry David Thoreau

#27 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

Vic... I forgot to say... Happy Canada Day!

Henry David Thoreau

#28 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

I think there is a little confusion on how solar controllers/chargers work.   The controller will try and output the set-point voltage for what ever stage of charge it is in (eg 14.4V in bulk/absorb or 13.4V in float).  It won't try and add anything to this.   However during the bulk phase of the charging the battery voltage is lower than the controller set-point, so the battery pulls the controller output down to what ever voltage the battery is at, and the controller provides as much current as it can up to the current limit (this is the Constant Current or CC phase).   On an AC charger the current is limited by the controller to what ever its rating is (eg 30A on the IOTA).  On a solar charger the current is more likely to be limited by the power available from the solar panels.   Once the voltage has reached the absorb voltage, then the controller starts regulating the voltage (for example to 14.4V) until either the absorption phase times out or the current decreases to a certain amount (this is the constant voltage phase or CV)   The charger then drops back to float and regulates the output voltage to whatever the float voltage set-point is (eg 13.4V).    

The 5V difference is likely a miss-reading of the MPPT specs.   The MPPT won't start until the solar panel voltage is 5V higher than the battery in order to insure there is enough power available from the solar panel to actually charge the battery.   Before the MPPT starts, the panel is producing Voc.  If you tried to start charging as soon as the Voc > Vbattery, as soon as you loaded the panel down by turning on the charger, the panel voltage would drop below Vbattery and you would need to shutdown.   The 5V buffer prevents this power wasting 'short cycling'.   Once the MPPT is charging, it will continue to run until the input voltage is down to ~ V battery + 0.7V, which is the diode drop inside the MPPT buck converter.

Happy Canada Day!

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:16 PM

Great detail I need to know. Thanks Lars. To expand my capacity for four days of rain I am thinking of adding my newly reborn DIY LiFePo4 battery in parallel. I have a good BMS but need to know if it is okay to do this with a Battleborn (in parallel)... does the BMS of the dyi need to match the specs in the Battleborn? Any possible snafus?

Henry David Thoreau

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:47 AM

Vic... I forgot to say... Happy Canada Day!

Thanks!  With a nod to the folks who owned this land before we showed up, Happy Turtle Island Day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users