• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:50 AM

Vic, I’ve been researching thermally activated fans for the same reason. Can you tell us what your using?

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#22 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

Can you mount the DC/DC in the engine compartment; assuming the motor fan will provide sufficient air circulation? 

And if it is in the battery compartment will that [heat] not create a problem for Li batteries?

FYI...the recommendation I was given was 4g wire for a DC/DC; assuming a significant run of wire.

Edited by Wallowa, 15 January 2021 - 04:19 PM.

#23 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

The thermal sensor I and others have been using is:

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I clipped it to a heat sink fin and it works great. My DC-DC is under the counter  and the fan is mounted behind the (enlarged) vent hole. There is no room in the battery compartment in our front dinette Fleet.

10 AWG was not sufficient - it resulted in DC-DC cycling (as others have found). 8 AWG stopped the cycling, 6 AWG would give plenty of margin.  4 AWG is just more expensive and harder to wire and does not buy you anything (unless you plan to upgrade to a 100 A DC-DC and heavy duty alternator).

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:08 AM

Vic, I’ve been researching thermally activated fans for the same reason. Can you tell us what your using?

What Jack said below.  

The fan I use is similar to this one.  Mine is 45CFM

Amazon.com: Gdstime DC Centrifugal Fan 120mm x 32mm 12v BBQ Oven Brushless Cooler Turbo Blower Fan: Industrial & Scientific

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users