Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:11 PM

Good morning to you all!

It's been awhile since I posted here and I've been able to use my camper a few times. Even managed to catch some fish while doing so!

My question today is: have any of you thought about converting your heater into a diesel heater like an espar or maybe a small wood burner stove specifically this
http://dickinsonmari...id-fuel-heater/

The propane heater does work very well. I haven't actually used it in any freezing temps but the cooler night it has done its job. But the fan is loud and its constantly on and off. And propane is just one more accessory whereas I already have diesel and wood would be even easier. That stove is also built to handle the presto logs and charcoal briquettes. The major issue with the Dickinson is it requires a 4 foot chimney. And also a place to put it. I dont use the toilet so I've thought about removing it and leaving the propane heater as back up.

What are your thoughts?
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#2 Teknomad

Teknomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

If you're looking for info on Chinese Diesel heaters you might want to visit 

This gentleman has 17 uploaded videos with a wealth of information as an alternative to Webasto or Eberspacher models.

Edited by SRHoffmann, 21 June 2020 - 01:25 PM.

#3 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

Nice I'll have to check that out. I have been wondering if those heaters were a waste of money or not. But for only 100$ it would be hard not to try. Even if it only lasted 2 years

#4 Teknomad

Teknomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

I'm currently working out an issue with the combustion chamber intake and exhaust ports.  These both are 25mm pipes and 90° copper bends available locally are all a bit sloppy.

#5 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:58 PM

I'm currently working out an issue with the combustion chamber intake and exhaust ports. These both are 25mm pipes and 90° copper bends available locally are all a bit sloppy.

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying. Did you install a chinese version into your camper?

#6 Teknomad

Teknomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Purchased one and working out the details of getting it installed in the original Propane heater space.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

The problem with a solid fuel heater like a Dickenson is the need for a tall chimney to achieve a proper draft.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Purchased one and working out the details of getting it installed in the original Propane heater space.

Ok gotcha, do you have any photos of the original propane heater installed? Or the new heater going in?

#9 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

The problem with a solid fuel heater like a Dickenson is the need for a tall chimney to achieve a proper draft.

Yeah it calls for a 4' chimney, plus having to lower and raise the camper. It would need to be detchable which would turn into most likely a mess and a hole in the roof.

#10 Teknomad

Teknomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

No pictures of the original unit but it did reside under the Dometic 100 Series Porta Potty in the passenger right rear area of the camper.  Will have pictures of what I'm planning soon and will share them at that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users