Photo
- - - - -

1980's Four Wheel Camper Fleet Remodel Help and Discussion

four wheel camper four wheel campers fleet model truck camper truck camper remodel roof remodel portland oregon 1980s fleet model all terrain camper

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 patperry

patperry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

Last week my fiance and I drove to Northern California from Portland, Oregon to pick up a 1980's fleet model Four Wheel Camper. From the photos on craigslist and talking to the seller, the fleet looked like it was in pretty good condition. One of the biggest draws are the new canvas on it and a decent interior remodel. We paid a little more than I think it was worth for a little over $4,000.00. The exterior and roof needed some love but we thought a little paint could fix that up. After driving home through some rain we got home and the inside of the camper was pretty wet. The headliner over the sleeping area was soaked and so were the corners in this area. Pretty obvious this is a major concern to fix ASAP. Like many other campers on this forum we were super excited with our new purchase and then after getting home we realized the amount of work that needed to be done on this thing. So here is the camper and I'm hoping to share the remodel with everyone on this page. 

1980's Fleet Four Wheel Camper

The biggest questions and help I'm looking for is the roof. Below are some photos of the current roof, I call it the "paper mache" roof. haha.

After talking to 4WC crew they quoted me at around 5k for a new rebuild. That's a bit out of budget so wanted to try to fix it on our own to start. The 4WC guys recommended replacing all the screws with new neoprene washers and scraping all the silicone off the role and replacing with a polyeurethane of some sort. I'm hoping someone here can recommend something to make this roof last a little longer before having to spend a lot of money on it at 4WC. 

Close up of screw, plate, and washer.

Anyone know what this putty is and why this plate is here? It does't seem like a sound system to me? 

Current Screws and some sort of putty
Metal plate over screws, need to replace this.
Weird "Paper Mache" on the roof
IMG 1777
Side view of the roof
IMG 0551
Corner of Roof

Major leaking in the corners, anyone know anything to bombproof these? 

IMG 1500

Any and all insight would be appreciated. This is my first post. I plan to post my progress on this remodel on this thread. Thanks everyone!

#2 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Well..  I have been through 2 of these and have seen worse.. 

First of all, the plate is probably to cover cracks around the screw holes. Mine had numerous. 

Getting a new roof was not an option for me, so I had to make it work. I used large rubber washed and siliconed them directly to the roof and then put screws in.   I chose to use a Roofing product made for Flat roofs (I own a roofing business) called Gaco Roof. You roll in on like paint, costs about $50 per gallon. I used two coats and it has been fine for two years.  Adds a little weight, but well worth it to not have to worry about it in my opinion. 

I would clear all the caulk on all the roof and clean really well before doing anything.. Re caulk all the edges and you should be good. 

Good luck!

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#3 patperry

patperry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:29 PM

Well..  I have been through 2 of these and have seen worse.. 

First of all, the plate is probably to cover cracks around the screw holes. Mine had numerous. 

Getting a new roof was not an option for me, so I had to make it work. I used large rubber washed and siliconed them directly to the roof and then put screws in.   I chose to use a Roofing product made for Flat roofs (I own a roofing business) called Gaco Roof. You roll in on like paint, costs about $50 per gallon. I used two coats and it has been fine for two years.  Adds a little weight, but well worth it to not have to worry about it in my opinion. 

I would clear all the caulk on all the roof and clean really well before doing anything.. Re caulk all the edges and you should be good. 

Good luck!

BBZ thanks for the recommendation and positive encouragement! The team at Four Wheel Camper recommend to not use a silicone product, curious why they would say this but that stuff does look pretty bombproof. Also curious what material you used for your headliner and insulation? We will replace both as there is a good amount of mold. 

I enjoyed your thread of the 90's Granby you have rebuilt, awesome rig. 

#4 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

BBZ thanks for the recommendation and positive encouragement! The team at Four Wheel Camper recommend to not use a silicone product, curious why they would say this but that stuff does look pretty bombproof. Also curious what material you used for your headliner and insulation? We will replace both as there is a good amount of mold. 

I enjoyed your thread of the 90's Granby you have rebuilt, awesome rig. 

Thanks, turned out to be much older than a 90s.. but its pretty much all new now!

I don't know why they would say that, many on this forum have used similar products. I haven't found those guys all that helpful, when I recently asked for advice on sewing the canvas, they told me to take it to a local upholstery shop.. lol.. 

for headliner I used marine grade perforated headling (sailrite.com) and for insulation, I chose the rigid foam one inch, you can cut it easy and fits in place. Doing the headliner is going to be challenging with the roof still on, but I am sure it can be done!

Lots of great resources on this site.. 

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

Silicone is not UV resistant.  Stuff made for roofs is much better.  I used 3m 4200 and 5200 on my screws.  Cleaned off the area first with brake cleaner and/or rubbing alcohol.  

Some of the goop you have on their now looks like it could be Dicor Lap Sealant.  It is "self leveling".... aka, runny.  

I bought new ceiling liner from ATC.  One piece is big enough for the whole ceiling - no seams!  and I installed it without taking the roof apart.

#6 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:13 AM

Silicone is not UV resistant.  Stuff made for roofs is much better.  I used 3m 4200 and 5200 on my screws.  Cleaned off the area first with brake cleaner and/or rubbing alcohol.  

Some of the goop you have on their now looks like it could be Dicor Lap Sealant.  It is "self leveling".... aka, runny.  

I bought new ceiling liner from ATC.  One piece is big enough for the whole ceiling - no seams!  and I installed it without taking the roof apart.

I am referring to a silicone based Roofing product, specifically made for roofs.. (Gaco Roof).. its not just silicone..

Man, doing a ceiling with one piece sounds hard!

#7 patperry

patperry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

I am referring to a silicone based Roofing product, specifically made for roofs.. (Gaco Roof).. its not just silicone..

Man, doing a ceiling with one piece sounds hard!

That Gaco Roof does seem like a good option as this roof has a lot of tiny cracks throughout the surface. Definitely might need an new aluminum top eventually but hopeful to get a couple more years out of it before then. I plan to take the roof off for the headliner and wire for a Fantastic Fan.

Looks like a lot of people on here use the 3m 4200 and 5200 for the screws. Anybody have any neoprene material/washers they prefer for in between the screws and roof. Or is the neoprene necessary? 

I appreciate the help BBZ and Vic Harder. 

#8 patperry

patperry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:40 AM

Ended up spending the 4th of July working on the Camper here is some photos of the roof repair:

IMG 7383

So much mold! Was really weird someone added a headliner over the old headliner, so ripped out both and found so much mold.

IMG 7393

Acetone project took almost 2 days! 

IMG 7390

1A5A432E 3E7C 49A1 BD68 4D9369A27A07

Rewired everything with 14 gauge wire for the 12 volt electric system. Going to add three LED lights and wired for a Fantastic Fan.

IMG 7384
IMG 7399

Added all new insulation. Went with the rigid foam instead of the classic stuff. 

IMG 7465

Freshcoat of paint and resealed all the screws with 3M 5200 Sealant.

IMG 7473

A new headliner! Used a contact adhesive to put it on. Also made some new battenstrips and gave them a little spray paint and screwed them in. 

IMG 7476

Securing the trim and adding the final sealant. 

IMG 7482

IMG 7486
IMG 7487

The new inside roof has been all the difference. 

IMG 7463

Platform for the truckbed to raise the camper off the sides of the bed.

IMG 7462

A little paint on the underside.

IMG 7460

Edited by patperry, 14 July 2020 - 01:48 AM.

#9 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:29 AM

Ended up spending the 4th of July working on the Camper here is some photos of the roof repair:

So much mold! Was really weird someone added a headliner over the old headliner, so ripped out both and found so much mold.

Acetone project took almost 2 days!

Rewired everything with 14 gauge wire for the 12 volt electric system. Going to add three LED lights and wired for a Fantastic Fan.

Added all new insulation. Went with the rigid foam instead of the classic stuff.

Freshcoat of paint and resealed all the screws with 3M 5200 Sealant.

A new headliner! Used a contact adhesive to put it on. Also made some new battenstrips and gave them a little spray paint and screwed them in.

Securing the trim and adding the final sealant.

The new inside roof has been all the difference.

Platform for the truckbed to raise the camper off the sides of the bed.

A little paint on the underside.

Looks like you did a great job! Some of these projects you just have to keep chipping away them until they’re done!!!

#10 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

Nice! Looking Good!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel camper, four wheel campers, fleet model, truck camper, truck camper remodel, roof remodel, portland oregon, 1980s fleet model, all terrain camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users