Photo
- - - - -

1980's Four Wheel Camper Fleet Remodel Help and Discussion

four wheel camper four wheel campers fleet model truck camper truck camper remodel roof remodel portland oregon 1980s fleet model all terrain camper

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Curious, how does the roof lifting mechanism work?  it looks like it's not factory and that could lead to misalignment when you lower the roof which can give you issues with water intrusion while driving.  Could just be the photos but one of your before pics with the roof down seems to show a significant overhang of the roof to the camper.  I know folks have had issues with driving in the rain but not while popped up that are usually attributed to how it is held down in front.

Otherwise, I agree, way to tackle that roof!

#12 Abbiennormal

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

This looks fantastic. I am about to tackle my 1985 Grandby roof to replace insulation and run new wires for fan and lights. Thanks for the pics!

1985 Grandby

1985 Ford F150 4x4

2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4

I'm just a Gen Xer with new knees so now I feel unstoppable.

#13 Andesite

Andesite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Good work! Thanks for documenting. I'll soon be tackling the roof on my Hawk. 

#14 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

If you haven’t already done so, you may want to consider adding D bulb weatherstripping to the lower top trim of your Fleet. While I don’t doubt your roof issues, you do mention it getting wet in the corners while driving, that was a somewhat common complaint with the older units. The cure is to add the weatherstripping across the front and down the sides a third of the way or so. I’ll guess it is still standard on the new units, it’s what they were doing last time I looked at a new one.

If you dig into the archived threads, there are one or two describing it.
Thanks for sharing.

Edited by LuckyDan, 20 July 2020 - 07:21 PM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#15 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

I am curious what headliner you ordered and from where.

#16 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:44 AM

I am curious what headliner you ordered and from where.

I don't know what he used.. but get a marine perforated headliner.. its mold/mildew resistant.. got my from sailrite

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#17 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

I don't know what he used.. but get a marine perforated headliner.. its mold/mildew resistant.. got my from sailrite

I looked at sailright, found the stuff. Was surprised by the cost. I could only find perforated with added foam. At over $30/yard I may just put in the elbow grease to clean mine up. I have a small area that I need to patch. Thought about replacing the headliner with out taking the entire roof off. So I may wait until I need to do a mayor overhaul of the entire roof. However, I did find perforated with out foam for like $12/yard so I may go with that. Just curious what folks use.

Edited by m.r.h., 27 July 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

I got mine from ATC... it was not expensive.  

#19 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:20 AM

I looked at sailright, found the stuff. Was surprised by the cost. I could only find perforated with added foam. At over $30/yard I may just put in the elbow grease to clean mine up. I have a small area that I need to patch. Thought about replacing the headliner with out taking the entire roof off. So I may wait until I need to do a mayor overhaul of the entire roof. However, I did find perforated with out foam for like $12/yard so I may go with that. Just curious what folks use.

Maybe it wasn't sailrite.. but I did not use the foam backed stuff.. 12/yard seems about right..only needed 8 yards for my roof on a grandby I think... so thats under 100 plus shipping..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#20 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:20 AM

I calculated 8 yards for my keystone. 12 /yard is reasonable. Double that I was thinking about working harder to remove all of the glue residue from the carpet that got glued over the original headliner. Too late now though. Tore it all out today!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel camper, four wheel campers, fleet model, truck camper, truck camper remodel, roof remodel, portland oregon, 1980s fleet model, all terrain camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users