• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Heh heh . . . great replies, thanks!  I'm thinking I'll rethink the time savings angle, probably not worth it.  So much good help and commentary on the WTW site, and I appreciate being part of  it.

Rico.  

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

As others have stated,"it's not worth it IMO".

There are too many things on our mind and it can be easy to forget you only lowered the front .

Then get it damaged by catching it on a low clearance area.

We can get distracted while lowering and forget something.Then the next thing you know boom

big problem.

I do use the "half pop" at a stop to maybe make a coffee of some food thing .But would NEVER

travel like that.

Once I did forget to lower the whole roof but caught it before leaving the camp.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:32 AM

Well, I have driven in wedge mode accidentally, but in reverse. If you lower the lid, but forget to latch them, air pressure as you drive pushes the front up, but not the back. Felt pretty foolish.

Supposedly you can drive with the roof up, but really why? It is not that difficult to do it fully. Heck, that was the whole reason I bought the ATC/FWC in the first place.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#14 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:25 AM

Hi RicoV

On the other hand tilting the roof in camp to angle ones solar cells toward the south is an excellent idea.,,it is very nearly the optimum angle for capturing solar emissions especially in Oregon around the 45 parallel.......................but, not, ummm,  while driving.

: )  Be patient, we are a pretty friendly group of folks : )

#15 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:57 PM

For those who wanted a look at what I was testing, I'm trying (again) to attach that pic, think it's working

Attached Thumbnails

• fwc_grandby_wedge_mode_travel.JPG

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#16 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:12 PM

While cleaning the truck/camper I moved from the driveway to the lawn with the top up and snagged the only tree in the yard. It's going to cost you over $2k to replace the fabric even if the tear is only toward the back.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

For those who wanted a look at what I was testing, I'm trying (again) to attach that pic, think it's working

I still think it's a cool look.  B)

....It's going to cost you over $2k to replace the fabric even if the tear is only toward the back.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#18 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Well, I have driven in wedge mode accidentally, but in reverse. If you lower the lid, but forget to latch them, air pressure as you drive pushes the front up, but not the back. Felt pretty foolish.

Supposedly you can drive with the roof up, but really why? It is not that difficult to do it fully. Heck, that was the whole reason I bought the ATC/FWC in the first place.

I am a member of that club as well; did about 10 miles at freeway speeds before I realized and sheepishly pulled into a turnout to fix it.

#19 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

I am a member of that club as well; did about 10 miles at freeway speeds before I realized and sheepishly pulled into a turnout to fix it.

Felt a little sluggish, right?
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#20 Wyo4Life

Wyo4Life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

As expensive as these campers are, I personally would not even think about traveling in one without lowering the roof all the way and latching down the hatches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users