• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Anyone have a source for the threaded hook portion of the roof latches? Mine are rusting but the rest of the latch is in good shape.

Thanks
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Wire brush and apply Rust-Oleum all on one primer/rust paint. I have touched mine up and no more rust. FWC would be your best shot.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:38 PM

Hmmm, I hadn’t thought about that. So for a new, or soon to be FWC owner who plans on going to salt water environments a lot would normal maintenance do the trick? Washing, WD-40 etc? I would have thought they were galvanized or something. 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

They are galvanized, but the salt water environment can be brutal. Thoroughly was down after each trip.

Hmmm, I hadn’t thought about that. So for a new, or soon to be FWC owner who plans on going to salt water environments a lot would normal maintenance do the trick? Washing, WD-40 etc? I would have thought they were galvanized or something.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

I like 3 in 1 oil for bare metal; it is thicker and stays in place longer than thin WD-40. WD-40 has it's uses, but I don't use it for corrosion protection as it was designed more as a penetrator/water displacer. I put some pretty large scratches down to bare metal on the inside of my truck bed last year and immediately wiped 3 in 1 on the metal with a paper towel. I have not yet reapplied (will do before rainy season), and there is no sign of rust at all. 

A few years ago, I saw a corrosion test on youtube done by a knife maker. He had 6-10 knife blanks and he treated each one (minus a control) with different rust-preventers, and then left the blanks outside for some time, through wet weather. The 3 in 1 was either the best or close to it, and it is very cheap and easy to find.

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

There are at least two different styles of roof clasps that have been used by FWC.

An older style used up to around 2008 is for sale online mighty cheap and is far easier than trying to clean up those threads.

Use a bedding compound and correct screws if you fit new ones. 

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users